Bali April/Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h90

Contributor
Reaction score
Here the basics:
Mid April we (my better half (Thai) and me the worse half (Austrian)) want to make holidays, as there will be new year in Bangkok where we stay and we want to escape that.
My first idea was Bali (as I was there in 2000).

What we want:
Cheap (as we don't have much money at the moment)
silent place
I want to go scuba diving as often as possible as cheap as possible.
My wife want friendly people and for her it is very important that everything is enviroment friendly and integegrated in the local society (example a high concrete hotel with a british manager and indian staff and waste water direct in the beach would be the worst thinkable example).
She prefers bungalow
I prefer aircondition.

We don't stick to Bali, can be also a different place, just I know Bali a little bit.

Does anyone has a good recommendation?
How are the prices there at the moment (best would be in compare with Thailand).
Nice/cheap/friendly dive center? Actually I have everything basically I only need clean air/weights/tank and a buddy (my wife does not dive (but I offer 20.000 USD for someone who can change her mind on diving).

Any help/idea is greatly appriciated
Michael

If you just want to dive consider Paradise Palm Beach Bungalows in Tulamben. Rooms are US$20-30. Basic rooms (fan, no hot water) & deluxe rooms (a/c, hot water). Nothing fancy. Tank & wts are about $15/day, airfills $5 as I recall. Dive guides are extra. You can dive on your own or see if the dive shop can hook you up with a buddy. Dive the reef about 50m from your room, hike up the beach (rocks) to dive the USS Liberty or take a local outrigger to Seraya for great macro. More upscale accommodations nearby if you choose.

jcclink: that sounds nice!
will look if I find some links/pictures
How is the surounding there?
My wife isn't a diver, is there a town/market anything?
Thanks
Michael

Hi Michael

Lots of excellent places on Bali for diving. The only thing is that they are quite a distance from eachother. Tulamben is excellent diving but that's it. If your partner is a non diver it can get boring for her. There's an alternative to Tulamben which would be Padang bai. A small fishing village with good diving. There are 7 dive shops over there so you can do some shopping for good prices.

Only a one hour daytrip to tulamben, excellent local diving and easy to reach Nusa Penida for some good diving since Padang Bai is a natural harbour in a bay.

I have been working for half a year for Absolute scuba as a dive instructor. We have cheap accomodation starting from 15usd a night to the more fancy ac rooms with tv going up to 45usd depending on sea view.

There you go, another option to choose from

H90
Since you wife isnt diver; Bali is the most recommended. My suggestion; Tulamben and or Menjangan Island. Both are located on north side of Bali 2 - 3 hours from main tourist area at south. Tulamben for great wreck diving; abundant marine life incl. macro and Menjangan for cristal clear water, beautiful reef and wall diving. use search engine to find more info re. these location. 3 - 4 days for each location will maximize your diving time and can cover the most interesting sites.
For your wife - unfortunately these site are not special for topsites - menjangan is better than Tulamben - not too far from Lovina - the Bali north tourist area.
Let her try snorkeling. Both sites is great for snorkeling too. Probably you have to transfer $20 to me at the ned of your trip.
However, if snorkeling does not satisfy her; she can enjoy spa and visit some interesting touris object around the area - relatively far but still accessible using very cheap public transport; but do not expect very comfortable service - btw this public transport is enjoyed by hundred thousand if not million balinesse. You can ask the hotel for guidance. More convenience, join the group tour if any or rent a car with chaufer - not too expensive; will cost you $ 60 - 80 a day - and she can go anywhere she want.
After Tulamben and or Menjangan, move to the south; where you can stay at Nusadua (expensive), Sanur, Kuta, Legian, Seminyak While you enjoy Nusa Penida she will love shopping at these main tourist area.
I can give you more detail if this interesting or you have specific question. Myself + wife and two daughters - they are not diver) regularly travel to bali - almost every year and spend 1 - 2 weels there.
We will be visiting Bali again early April this year - hopefully, if my boss approve my leave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom