Bali and Sulawesi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funkyspelunker:
OK, I see Dili on the map, I'm definitley interested, ....what are the prices like for general living and dives in E. Timor? It'd be nice to see another country on my travels.
For diving, you have 25+ shore dive sites East and West of the capital, all less than 45 minutes by car. Several of the dive operators have vehicles and you can negotiate car and dive guide for each day of diving with them. I am sure you can get better prices if you commit to a package of 10 days for example. As for air, they all charge $10/tank but you can get the 20 tank prepay deal for $150.

Two operators are runniing boat dives to Atauro island. Although a bit steep at $80 and $100 for 2 dives and lunch, Atauro is a must see with amazing walls covered with corals and you are guaranteed turtles, reef sharks, and often see pelagics like giant trevally, tuna and mackarel swim by. On the 1 hour boat ride to Atauro island you can sometimes go through areas packed with what seem like hundreds of Spinner dolphins jumping up in the air. Pilot whales and Orcas have also been spotted on the trip.

As for lodging, you can find $35-$100 options depending on your budget. I believe there is a backpackers lodge here but I don't have the cost for that handy.

Nick

funky,

That's a given. Just tell me when you will be here and we can set up some dives. Our club tries to get in the water Tuesdays for dawn dive, Wednesdays for night dive and at least two dives per weekend on either Saturday or Sunday. You are welcome to join us.

Nick

I get into Bali on the 29th and then I will look into flights over, I tried going to Garuda and Merpati websites but couldn't find flights to Dili. PM me your contact info and I'll keep in contact along the way, but I expect to be around if I can get a flight sometime in the 1st half of July.

Calvin

I would *not* recommend Gos Dive Shop. I dove with them a few months ago and it took about 5 tries before I got a reg that worked. They were all free-flowing and tried to tell me that no, it was fine. Sadly, I still dove with them although I was somewhat comfortable with the reg that I finally used. However, I would not use them again nor refer them to another. They were near Benoa, just beside Nusa Dua.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom