Balanced Rig with a Single Tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reg Braithwaite

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I don't know if this question is Hogarthian-specific, but since I'm donating a long hose primary I thought I'd ask here...

I tend to be feet-heavy. Possibly because of my physiology, possibly because I typically dive a dry suit with two layers of thin full-body underwear and a 4th Element top, so there's more padding in the torso than the legs. And quite possibly because I need more practice leveling out!

I have been looking to balance my rig and get weight off the waist. I've been renting steelies this summer, and that has helped. I'm purchasing a steel back plate, that should help as well. One thing I wonder about is adding weight to the plate itself and off the waist. With doubles you can get keel weights.

With singles, I was wondering about adding weight to the tank bands. Obviously there are the curved plate-style weights as well as bullet-shaped weights. I've tried putting 8 pounds of bullet weights on the tank bands (2 x 2 lbs on the top band, 2 x 2lbs on the bottom band) in confined water.

Is this a good idea? Bad idea? Trolling welcome... In addition to advice about how to balance my rig, opinions about balanced rigs are welcome, of course.

I use XS scuba weight pockets on my cambands to put some more weight up on my back. Another excellent option for cold water divers is to get a DSS SS plate and get the weight plates that go on it -- That's what my husband has done. (I don't do that, because I like the fact that I can remove the weights from my rig to move it around.)

I was surprised at how little weight I had to move up, once I had a SS backplate. Four pounds did it, so a total of nine on my back (plate and weights) and 18 to 20 on my waist (depending on suit) trims me out perfectly.

BTW, before anybody else comments on it, the term "balanced rig" is usually used to describe a setup where you can swim it up in the event of a complete failure of your wing, or where you have enough ditchable weight to be able to swim it up. This is really only relevant for doubles, because for single tanks, you're unlikely to start the dive negative enough that you couldn't swim the rig up. (Maybe from 100 feet in a thick wetsuit with a 130, you could get into trouble :) )

TS does the same thing I do with my single rig. I use a couple of XS pockets on my top cam band so I can add a little counter weight to balanced my rig.

It takes some fine tuning, to be sure. Then when you change something, like exposure protection you get to do it all over again. :D

I've seen weights ty-wrapped to the plate to give the same effect. Try a few different things to see what works, then figure a way to place the weights so they look good, and are securely mounted. One or two pounders work the best ( for me ) as trim weights.

the term "balanced rig" is usually used to describe a setup where you can swim it up in the event of a complete failure of your wing, or where you have enough ditchable weight to be able to swim it up. This is really only relevant for doubles, because for single tanks, you're unlikely to start the dive negative enough that you couldn't swim the rig up. (Maybe from 100 feet in a thick wetsuit with a 130, you could get into trouble :) )

Ah. Oh. Never mind then, I though the whole thing was about reducing the weight belt. I wear a modest amount of weight, currently about 16 pounds with a single steelie. I know a plate is six pounds and I was thinking of putting eight pounds on the bands to bring the rig up to fourteen pounds. Then I could just drop a few soft weights in my (allegedly ditch-able) waist pockets on the waist of my harness and be good.

I haven't tried it, but I think I can swim sixteen pounds up even if I suffer a catastrophic buoyancy loss of both wing and suit.

I use XS scuba weight pockets on my cambands to put some more weight up on my back. Another excellent option for cold water divers is to get a DSS SS plate and get the weight plates that go on it -- That's what my husband has done. (I don't do that, because I like the fact that I can remove the weights from my rig to move it around.)

I was surprised at how little weight I had to move up, once I had a SS backplate. Four pounds did it, so a total of nine on my back (plate and weights) and 18 to 20 on my waist (depending on suit) trims me out perfectly.

BTW, before anybody else comments on it, the term "balanced rig" is usually used to describe a setup where you can swim it up in the event of a complete failure of your wing, or where you have enough ditchable weight to be able to swim it up. This is really only relevant for doubles, because for single tanks, you're unlikely to start the dive negative enough that you couldn't swim the rig up. (Maybe from 100 feet in a thick wetsuit with a 130, you could get into trouble :) )

Being able to swim up my doubles is a little troubling for me. If I lose both wing and DS I'll have to use a lift bag go get me to the top. I've never practiced that, but maybe I should.

Being able to swim up my doubles is a little troubling for me. If I lose both wing and DS I'll have to use a lift bag go get me to the top. I've never practiced that, but maybe I should.
I would, but very carefully. I sure that you know it, but I need to remind everyone to never forget that using any form of inflatable, "soft" buoyancy creates a positive feedback loop that can hurt and even kill you if it is not tightly controlled.

I'd be very interested in how others practice this and what sorts of exercises others use to teach it.

If you are comfortable diving fixed weight, and fully understand the pros & cons of not being able to ditch it, then perhaps you might consider the following:

I have several 2 and 3 pound regular lead weights that I drilled holes through (lead is very easy to drill through). When I'm diving a single tank and a SS b/w is not enough weight, I simply bolt additional weights to the backplate using stainless steel nuts and bolts. You can adjust your trim by how high or low you place the weights.

It's the same concept as a V-weight for doubles, only you're mounting weight on each side of a single tank, instead of the middle on doubles.

I will also add that anytime I'm adding weight, I can swim it up without ditching anything.

Last edited:

Are you already comfortable unbuckling and ditching your rig?

I would, but very carefully. I sure that you know it, but I need to remind everyone to never forget that using any form of inflatable, "soft" buoyancy creates a positive feedback loop that can hurt and even kill you if it is not tightly controlled.

I'd be very interested in how others practice this and what sorts of exercises others use to teach it.

Understood. I probably shouldn't have publicly posted it. I'd intend on practicing from 30 feet and if it gets out of control just let go of it. I'll sink but since it's practice I can use the BC to take over.

I've always heard to use the lift bag in that sort of emergency. Beats drowning, I guess.

I've always heard to use the lift bag in that sort of emergency. Beats drowning, I guess.

This assumes you have air but neither wing nor suit is working. Makes sense. Would you 'ride the bag' up? I would assume that the best course of action would be to run it up on a spool and wind yourself up the line rather than try to control the lift of the bag.

That could be my inexperience talking.

p.s. I mean wind the line up on a spool and hang onto the spool, of course. You need to be able to let go if something really bad happens, like the bag being snagged by a passing boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom