Balanced rig limits, no bcd?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Balanced rig: Neutral buoyancy limits with no bcd and related safety considerations. Curious what comfot limits others have who regularly dive without a bcd have and what gear configurations work well.
So, I've got a couple dive kits that I presently like, both built by me specifically to reduce in-water swimming drag and both single tank configurations specifically designed to use with a standard AL80 tank.

My first "good kit" was a back mount tank. It was a nice kit and significantly reduced my drag and swimming effort compared to typical scuba configurations. Cruising at 2 knots is sustainable with this kit, and I could sprint to within spitting distance of 3 knots.

My latest kit has been an absolute blast in the water. 2 knots with this kit is as easy as doing nothing as far as RMV goes. An easy sustainable continuous kick will deliver a solid 3 knots cruise. One of the best benefits is that the kit makes an inertial dampener to stabilize my video cameras, which really improves the quality of the video I can shoot. The drawback to the amazingly small cameras available is that they can produce very shaky video if the operator doesn't make a very conscious effort to hold it steady. This kit addresses that in a synergistic way to make the diving easier as well as stabilizing the camera.

So, this kit is new and I'm still working out details, but so far it has been really fun to dive. I basically feel like a freediver with a camera, but I don't need to go back to the surface every 60 to 90 seconds.

Do you use any kind of bladder to float the kit on the surface? Would suck to drop it.

So, I've got a couple dive kits that I presently like, both built by me specifically to reduce in-water swimming drag and both single tank configurations specifically designed to use with a standard AL80 tank.

My first "good kit" was a back mount tank. It was a nice kit and significantly reduced my drag and swimming effort compared to typical scuba configurations. Cruising at 2 knots is sustainable with this kit, and I could sprint to within spitting distance of 3 knots.

My latest kit has been an absolute blast in the water. 2 knots with this kit is as easy as doing nothing as far as RMV goes. An easy sustainable continuous kick will deliver a solid 3 knots cruise. One of the best benefits is that the kit makes an inertial dampener to stabilize my video cameras, which really improves the quality of the video I can shoot. The drawback to the amazingly small cameras available is that they can produce very shaky video if the operator doesn't make a very conscious effort to hold it steady. This kit addresses that in a synergistic way to make the diving easier as well as stabilizing the camera.

So, this kit is new and I'm still working out details, but so far it has been really fun to dive. I basically feel like a freediver with a camera, but I don't need to go back to the surface every 60 to 90 seconds.

How are you determining your underwater speed?

Do you use any kind of bladder to float the kit on the surface? Would suck to drop it.
Technically the new kit is not completely BC free. It has a variable ballast tank onboard that I use to keep the tank close to neutral underwater. I can also use it to keep the tank on the surface. It only has 3.5 pounds of lift capacity, and the tank is weighted so that it will start to urge me toward the surface when it's reserves get low even if the ballast tank is completely flooded.

@REVAN simply superb, the freedom was contagious. I hadn't seen your rig before.

@The Chairman excellent consideration,comfortable at the surface isn't just a comfort factor, also safety. In my j-valve diving days I'd use half rocks (horrible cold muddy unsensitive bottom) as ballast I'd dump at the end of the dive on the surface. Not being able to swim significantly encouraged my need for floating aids. For my recent bcd-less diving detachable weight is my way of gaining positive surface buoyancy. I wouldn't dive without it.

The recent cold spell has me in a 7mm or double 7mm, combine that with 4 al80s at depth I'm entirely grateful the bcd has become widely available and I can enjoy it's value even though the loss of streamlining is saddening. (Scooter softens the sorrow)

In way of update, did 4 more cruising at 90-60ft without a bcd, nice drift dives, removing lion fish. Staying neutral of course, discovering the deeper breathing pattern can become to feel normal. I'd not hesitate to enjoy this more once the weather warms up.

Dive safe,
Cameron

Back
Top Bottom