Bahamas @ X-Mas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dugongberbulu

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for anyone with experience or relevant comments about heading down to the Bahamas for xmas, and diving there, any and all comments very much welcome!

Thanks
D

You'll freeze your ass off, been to Small Hope Bay Lodge twice, highly recommend it but one trip was in February and water temp was low 70s, 7mm was the minimum to keep me warm, everyone in 3mm rented another 3mm to wear over top. Maybe it was just a freak cold thing, they even had the fireplace going inside. Cold aside, this was some of the best diving I've ever seen and I've been looking for Small Hope's equal all over the Caribbean (I try not to go back anywhere twice since there's so much more of the world to see). Their "you're one of the family" is no BS.

We spent the winter in the Abacos a couple of years ago. I was fine in a 3/2 shortie, my son was cold in a 3 mil full suit, with hooded vest. I just looked at my log and water temps in Dec were in the high 70's.

The biggest problem from a planning perspective is that the diving can get shut down when a cold front rolls through. This is more of a problem in the northern Bahamas than further south. We were on our boat, staging out of Marsh Harbor.

In general the cold fronts roll through every two weeks or so, and bring bad weather that lasts 4-6 days. We spent our first frontal passage on the boat at anchor. It was uncomfortable and cold. We were sort of trapped for three days because the wind was blowing too hard to safely operate a small inflatible dingy. The wife was unhappy resulting in the rental of a slip at a marina in Marsh Harbor for the remainder of our stay. When a front was due, we would head back there and tie up for a few days.

We flew my daughter and her family down for a week just before Christmas and they hit a cold spell. All the swimming and beach playing was done in wetsuits. We still has fun, but you have to be prepared for unpredictable weather.

The diving we did in the Abacos was very good.

Well, looks like I'll be moving the trip further South, maybe the BVI?

Thanks very much for your input! Much appreciated

D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom