bahamas H20 temps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chuckrt

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be in the Bahamas Dec2-6 and am wondering what the water temps. are like. I will be diving on Coco Cay with Royal Caribbean and snorkeling with my wife in Nassau as well. Just wondering if a skin will be enough.

Thermal comfort is somewhat idiosyncratic.

To put it in perspective, below is a piece from my June '00 "Ask RSD" column in "Rodale's Scuba Diving":

"Have you ever been out on the street in the spring or fall and noticed people wearing everything from shorts & T-shirts to full coats with hats & scarves, all apparently in comfort? Well, things are no different underwater. This comfort is highly variable among individuals depending on such factors as percentage of body fat, age & tolerance to thermal discomfort. Other determinants, like how many dives a day over how many days you are planning, are also important. When you ask "What wetsuit should I wear?, you'll get answers ranging all the way from "just a bathing suit" through "5 mm full."

The question is better asked: "What water temps can I anticipate at my destination?" You'll receive a pretty accurate answer to this, and then can decide what's best for you based on your personal thermal comfort needs.

It's always a good idea to come thermally prepared, just in case."

That having been said, in late Dec in Nassau you'll be looking at surface water temps of ~78 plus/minus a degree. Scuba temps will be more like 76 plus/minus a degree.

Personally, a skin wouldn't keep me warm. I'd take my 3mm full & beanie, at the least.

Have a good time.

DocVikingo

HI Chuck:
I just thought I'd post since I have dove at Coco Caye also. Royal Caribben has a great private island. Good diving there.
Have fun!

Hi Natasha and Docviking,

Thank you for your reply on H20 temps and cococay. Doc I have more than enough insulation so my dive skin should be enough.

Thanks again,

Chuckrt

Well, that certainly will make packing easier & lighter.

Guess all of that Finger Lakes diving toughens up a guy.

Have a great time.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom