Bahamas Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RNELSON989

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all,

New diver here, been reading for a while and wanted to ask a question regarding Cruise Dives in the Bahamas. Me and my wife are taking a cruise to the Bahamas in August. The ship will stop in Nassau and Freetown Bahamas. Both sites offer a 2 tank dive as excursions. Just wondering which port would offer the best dive and if anybody has any personal experience with these types of dives. The dive in Nassau is 3.5 hours trip and $100.00 per person. The dive in Freetown is 4.5 hours and $125.00 per person not including the regs, bc's or wetsuits....those are all extra.

Thanks,
Riley Nelson

I would but the wife really wants to swim with dolphins.....after scuba classes, equipment, and the cruise itself, funds are running low:shocked2:

Do you mean "Freeport" on Grand Bahama? Freeport has some great diving, but it depends on where you go? There is a shark dive at Stuart's Cove near Nassau and a Feed at Shark Junction at Grand Bahama? So it just depends:wink:

Seacreatures,

Yes, I did mean Freeport, Bahamas. I think they call it a 2 tank reef dive but nothing mentions sharks.

Never been to the Bahamas, but I've found that the dive operations that the cruise lines use are generally not the best in town and the excursions tend to be much more expensive. There are plenty of dive operators in any port the cruise lines go to that are willing to pick you up from the pier, drop you back off when you're done and take you to some place that's much better than anything any of the places that the cruise line uses. This isn't to say you can't have a really nice dive with the cruise line's operator, you can. This is to say that too many of those operators use the cattle boat style of packing as many people on as possible, and taking them somewhere that is hardly the best site in the area. The one advantage is that the cruise ship's excursions do give you a bit of protection in that if you get caught up in "island time" and are late getting back to the ship, if you booked through the cruise line, the ship will wait for you. If you didn't you are out of luck. That said, this is hardly a problem with a two tank dive, usually you can be done and still have time to look around town for a couple of hours by the time the ship is scheduled to leave.

Enjoy the cruise.

I did a 2 tank yesterday with Stuart Coves and it was great. Was also my first saltwater dive since being certified. They were super nice and helpful.

There are plenty of dive operators in any port the cruise lines go to that are willing to pick you up from the pier, drop you back off when you're done and take you to some place that's much better than anything any of the places that the cruise line uses.
While this is typically true, in Nassau Stuart Cove's almost has a monopoly. Most likely a trip booked thru the cruise line is with them. Stuart Cove's Aqua Adventures - Cruise Ships

One thing not clearly mentioned is that they're about 45mins. south of Nassau which is why they provide the shuttle.

If you're on RCL or Holland, they are contractually bound to provide a 2-tank dive and the cruise lines adjust their schedules accordingly.

When do you arrive? If it's really early - have to clear customs first (took us about 20mins.) - Bahama Divers has an 8:30 2-tank. BD is located at the base of the Paradise Island bridge in town. Bahama Divers Home Page

The only other option in Nassau afaik is Paradise Dive Charters. Paradise Dive Charters

For Dolphins there's the UNEXSO program - everything from an encounter to an O/W dive - Near Freeport. The Dolphin Experience

This may be of some use to find an operator on either island: Bahamas Government Portal - Welcome to Bahamas Diving

Thanks for the great info guys, I'll check into Stuart Cove for sure...

Stuart coves was awesome. The shark dive is really cool.

Have your wife watch "The Cove" and you'll easily be able to convince her that scuba diving with the naturally free creatures is a far better idea than swimming with captive dolphins.

Back
Top Bottom