Bahamas Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

813Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be taking a four day cruise on RCCL to the Bahamas in early August. I was leery of how diving on a cruise would be, so I called them up and asked about what operators they use.

In Nassau, we'll be going on a two-tank boat trip through Nassau Scuba Centre. Does anyone know anything about that outfit?

Thanks.

I used them last November (2002) for 4 morning dives. They were very good and except for a very shallow reef dive, had a divemaster in the water.

A divemaster? They didn't have more than one divemaster for the whole boat? And they didn't put a divemaster in the water on one dive? That just doesn't sound right.

A divemaster is not always needed in the water if the group of divers is competent. Probably assumed that his presence was not needed on the shallow dive - nothing wrong with that if divers were competent.

This brings up a good point, that being that different people have widely varying expectations, largely colored by their own experience, of the "proper" procedures for a dive operator to follow.

The charter outfit my LDS uses for all of their classes does drift diving primarily, but no matter what kind of diving they do a DM from the charter is in the water as a guide and/or flag bearer.

The first time I dove from a boat in the Keys I was surprised to find that unless you hired a personal DM as a guide, you were responsible for finding the way back to the boat by yourself.

No problem except for a couple of times we had to do middle to long surface swims, and I'm used to the concept now, but I still see "that look" on diver's faces when that realization dawns on them during the first briefing.

Nassau Scuba Centre has always done a good job for me. It's my first choice on New Providence.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I dove with Stuart Cove's on the south side of the island. They will arrange transport from most hotels. I liked them alot and would definitely do the shark dive agin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom