Bag for 2 sets of gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swelbo1

Registered
Reaction score
We are looking for a bag to fit 2 sets of gear, minus the regulators. We would prefer a roller bag. What is yalls recommendation?

Two sets of gear would probably send one bag right over the weight limit. My suitcase usually weights right about 50 lbs, and I carry on my regs and some other stuff.

I use a large suitcase from Costco. I would recommend trying to get anything BUT black.

If this is for airline travel, 2 sets of gear in a bag is likely to be overweight and maybe oversize. I would recommend getting a bag for each person rather than trying to stuff 2 sets of gear in one. Each bag can hold one persons gear plus clothes and stuff tucked around it for padding - no reason a bag has to be gear only.

My girlfriend and I have used a large rolling duffel from Costco (like the one described by Peter_C). I think I spent $40 on it several years ago. For warm water vacations, we can fit both sets of gear (excluding regs, cameras, UW camera housings) in it and still slide in under the 50 lb. weight limit. We also use it for our Catalina Island trips.

Recently we purchased the Aqualung Traveler 1550 medium roller bag. We haven't used it yet for any dive trips. It might be a little more challenging to fit our gear in that bag and still be under 50 lbs. since it weighs almost 10 lbs. when empty. It's nicely made (sturdy zippers, replaceable wheels), has a lifetime warranty (including airline handling damage), and was a steal for the price we paid ($100 total for the bag + a 10 fill air card). :D

We are currently using a yellow plastic roller suitcase and with all of our stuff in it, it is still under 50 lbs. So I guess we will stick with that.

Most roller bags weigh in at 15-20% of your 50lb limit. So while convenient IMHO they are a poor choice. I prefer duffles and if needed give some one $5 to schlep my bags. Though usually I schlep them.

We are currently using a yellow plastic roller suitcase and with all of our stuff in it, it is still under 50 lbs. So I guess we will stick with that.

if you've got something that works, might as well stick with it until an airline trashes it, or you go on a liveaboard where it might not fit. Yellow has it's benefits in bag spotting!

I use the Aqualung 850 Traveler (roller duffel). It is very lightweight (about 8lbs) for its size, large duffel area that may be able to hold 2 sets of gear with some creative packing & comes with a lifetime warranty that Aqualung will replace it, even if the airlines tear it up. I have taken it on 2 trips so far (1 destination being the Galapagos), & it has held up beautifully!

Back
Top Bottom