Bag allowances on ferries & Sporting goods vs regular excess

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just recently went to Sangat Island and I used SkyJet to get there from Manila because it was the only airline shuttle service that could get me there and back when I needed to. I was at first very annoyed at having to pay an up charge for my dive bag because it was essentially an additional suitcase (not a bicycle or a windsurfing board) but it really did not cost much extra. I was just barely over the 15 kg allowance on the way there and they did not charge penalties but with my gear being damp for the return trip, I was almost 2kg over. Penalty was about 4 or 5 USD.

I really felt very nervous using SkyJet from the hotly negative reviews on TripAdvisor but I felt that I had no other choice unless I was okay shortening my diving trip by 2 additional days. In the end, I had a very positive experience with SkyJet and the biggest ‘pluses’ they have on their side is that they had about 6 flights a day (easy to book when you have firm dates) and they are very fast. Flying time from Manila to Buswanga was just over a half hour- the air staff barely had time to serve us our water and cakes!

The operators at the resort said that lots of their guests use SkyJet with no issues and their most recent accident (overshot the runway) was actually the fault of the airport staff. I will use them again if I go back (and believe me, I would REALLY like to!)

I never had any issues with weight or number of bags on ferries to Bohol or S Leyte. Dive gear checked in and 2 camera bags carry on.
Cebu Pacific just pre pay for regular bag 20kg for check in. They always weigh both of my carry on bags, 11kg and 14kg, after check in. But it is all UW camera gear and they let me through, no charge. Sometimes they do ask you to show them that it is actually camera stuff.
I am tall and I always try to pay for seat upgrade, front row, usually around 300P, $6-7. Lot's of leg room and you are off the plane first.
Hmm their stated rules say 1 carry on and another item such as a coat or a laptop etc, but perhaps they turn a blind eye BECAUSE its camera gear.. I know my camera etc comes to more that 7kg so that's good.
As far as everything else within 20kg - I'd have to learn to pack lighter if I were to achieve that, because my dive gear is close to 20 and that leaves nothing for clothes/toiletries etc!

@DangerousDan64 : thanks for the info on Skyjet - I'd not come across their name.
I see they have a limited set of routes - none going where I am on this trip - but Its good for future reference!

If you actually read the small print on your airline ticket, it says not to check you valuables, camera gear, .... I point it out to the airline staff when I am checking in case they say anything about 2 of my carry on bags. As long as those bags fit through the xray machine and fit in the overhead compartment, you are good.
I have done it for the many years, many different airlines. Just don't be rude to the staff, smile, and get through.

I've seen the face change in the front desk staff when people are creaming and being rude. Being calm and smiling goes along way, especially in Asia.

Back
Top Bottom