Bag allowances on ferries & Sporting goods vs regular excess

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divv

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi folks.

For those experienced PI travellers, how many bags can one take on a ferry?
I've read that carry on is limited to 15kg but I can't find info on "checked" bags. Can you take more than 1? Are there weight restrictions?
I'm looking at using some/all of Oceanjet, Weesam, Roble and Gloria.

Also I see Cebu Pacific has an option for adding sport equipment (up to 15kg) when you book - does anyone know if this works out better or the same as adding extra baggage after (but still pre-booked)? The system will only give more info on adding other bags after the flight is completely booked (which I'm not yet ready to do - still pricing!)

Thanks!

1. One or two dive bag/suit case is never an issue on bus. Jeepney is another story.
2. They do weight the bag in some ferry terminals. They might even X-ray it and then ask you to remove sharp object eg. dive knife!! You really have to talk to them NICELY.
3. Never ever opt for sport equipment on Cebu Pacific, it is a lot more expensive than standard. Just tell the ground crew that you have fragile items and they will put a sticker on the bag. There is option for check bag from 15kg to 40kg. However, the max weight allowed for each bag is 30kg. So you need at least two bags if you have more than 30kg. Yes, pre-book the check bag.

Thanks Centrals.

The max per bag on the international leg is 20 or 23 depending on airline so it would definitely be multiple bags.

The sports equipment was around 1100P for 15 kg - so you say the other option - to add a bag after the booking but before check-in - is cheaper - do you know offhand what 15kg will cost?

I messaged Oceanjet and they tell me 15kg is free and thereafter it is 13P / kg.. I am going to have to pack light...

The best way is pre-booked the baggage, 15kg to 40kg(ATR flight is 20kg max). If you found out afterward that it is NOT enough. Then you go to "manage my booking and add on" but there won't be any add on if you have already paid for 40kg! The sport equipment could be your only option.

Thanks.
Sports baggage was an add-on at the time of initial booking so I'm not sure if could be added later..
I doubt it would be over 40 though..

Just go to 5J home page and play around with the booking system until they ask for credit card detail!
There are old posts on the topic in SB, search them out.

I messaged Oceanjet and they tell me 15kg is free and thereafter it is 13P / kg.. I am going to have to pack light...
13P/kg - about $0.28 USD or 3.7 ZAR. I don't think I would lose alot of sleep over this part.

You CAN add "sport equipment" after you had purchased the ticket. I had tried it on one of my booking(without purchasing it off course).
"Manage the booking" in 5J home page is the section that you have to go through.

I never had any issues with weight or number of bags on ferries to Bohol or S Leyte. Dive gear checked in and 2 camera bags carry on.
Cebu Pacific just pre pay for regular bag 20kg for check in. They always weigh both of my carry on bags, 11kg and 14kg, after check in. But it is all UW camera gear and they let me through, no charge. Sometimes they do ask you to show them that it is actually camera stuff.
I am tall and I always try to pay for seat upgrade, front row, usually around 300P, $6-7. Lot's of leg room and you are off the plane first.

Back
Top Bottom