Bad vis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dkerr

Reaction score
Went to Back Beach yesterday evening because of a last minute change of plans. We had to cancel the dive though because of complete lack of vis (1ft). We tried for about 3 min with my dive buddy and I in physical contact the entire time. Figured it wasn't worth the air to complete the dive so we headed back home to wash the gear.
I really hope this will clear up. I have never dove in conditions like that before. Anyone who is going up there this week please report how the vis was and where you went. Just out of curiousity I drove over to OGB and Pebble to check out what it looked like and it didn't seem any better.
Thanks
Doug

I really don't like back beach as a site. I've only been there once, but it was full of sludge/slime and vis sucked until we got out 40 ft deep...it was a hell of a swim back to shore.

Incidentally, I'm going out tonight if anyone is interested. I dive with Burlington SCUBA almost every Wednesday...we usually go to Old Garden or Pebble. We meet at BK between 5:30 and 6pm.

I have dove there a number of times and it is diffinately not a prefered sight. One of the people I went with, this was their first dive since their cert so I wanted someplace nice and easy. Seeing as though I have dove OGB the last 6 dives I wanted a change of scenery. I guess I should be carefull of what I ask for.

I can definately understand wanting some variety. I need to get to Magnolia Rocks or Folley Cove sometime, as I haven't been to either site.

First dive since OW, eh? Vis must've freaked them out a bit. Was it at night also?

wow, 1ft vis, never experienced that. sounds like a bummer expecially for a new diver. glad you decided to abort the dive and trust you instincts.

work is kind of slow, so all this reading and no diving is making me jealous :( anyways, I would like to dive Magnolia rocks befroe the season is up. I have done Folly's cove a bunch of time and it was a great dive. still planning on getting out next week if either of you guys are up for it.

Might be able to do next monday but not sure. The house is being framed right now so everyday there is visible progress that I like to keep tabs on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom