Bad tasting air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have gotten a bad fill before.

Got down to 110' and the air tasted funny. I thumbed the dive, surfaced, got back on the boat and didn't continue.

I usually fill my own tanks, but this one had been commercially filled for me at a kinda-local shop since I had been diving there and had taken my own tanks with me. I dove my self-filled bottles for the other two dives of the day, and they didn't taste funny.

Dumped that tank (and another I had filled at the same shop at the same time) when I got home, and both still tasted funny even just sniffing what was coming out of the valve. Eeeeekkkkk. Did a quick vis check of the the tanks.... it has a nice little bit of flash rust in there that wasn't present when I bought the tank (I looked inside originally when I bought it) but no other obvious contamination. The other one was an Aluminum (and thus didn't have any rust in it) and it appeared clean. Both valves got torn down and inspected under a UV light. This shop claimed to have HFed, oxygen-compatable gas (I PP blend into my tanks, so this is quite important to me!)

I called the shop and told them about it; I hope they checked into it, because this kind of thing can be very un-funny. I don't know what was in that gas - but if I can taste it, I'm not breathing it. (The shop in question was rather cavalier about the report, but you never know how seriously they really are going to take something like this once they're off the phone.) The fills in question came off a bank of Nitrox - one hopes that if they found a bad cascade they would dump it, but you never know....

(This was NOT one of the local shops I've mentioned in the past.....)

If you detect a "taste" in your gas when diving, ABORT THE DIVE!

Taste in the gas can come from a number of sources. Some of them are of no great consequence. But most of them are - compressor oil (ALL oils are EXTREMELY toxic if inhaled, and can cause a form of pneumonia that is impossible to treat - this can KILL you), combustion byproducts (in the compressor due to carbon or other contaminents); you don't smell the CO but you DO smell the other byproducts - the CO can kill you outright, and ingested (at the compressor inlet) combustion byproducts such as vehicle exhaust.

If you've ever serviced a compressor filter stack with a "see-through" filter such as the Lawrence Factor cartridges you can SEE the contaminents that the cartridge filters out, as they are concentrated in the cartridge and very visible. Oil-lubricated compressors INTENTIONALLY pass a small amount of oil vapor through them to lubricate the upper cylinder walls, and that must be filtered out or it ends up in your tank! Some of what you see in those filters is just condensed water, of course. But the oil is also quite visible in a spent cartridge. You definitely DO NOT want that going into your lungs.

The problem with detecting an odor in the gas is that the filter cartridge(s) on a compressor are supposed to filter that out. That's part of what the activated carbon in the stack is for.

If THAT is not being effectively filtered out, what ELSE is also not being filtered out? The "what else" can easily be something like carbon monoxide!

I personally use a two-stage filter system - the primary on my compressor and then a secondary HyperFilter. So far, whenever I've changed the HF cartridge it has been completely (to visible inspection) dry and clean throughout. That would seem to indicate that the primary filter is doing its job - but I prefer a "belt and suspenders" approach to these kinds of things, as it only takes one tank full of bad gas to kill you.

Not long after we opened our shop we had a customer claim that a tank of air she got from us smelled. I of course dive my own air all the time and it's tested quarterly. None of my air ever had a tast or smell. We change our filters early and they look clean when we do.

unfortunately she had the tank cleaned some place else so I wasn't able to get any of the air or see the tank. I wanted a sample of the gas to send to the lab but she didn't let me. I even offered to clean the tank for free so I could get my hands on the gas.

I immediately sampled the compressor air and the ambient air and sent it to the lab. The tests came out clean. According to the lab...not all things that smell are filtered out by the filters and not all things that smell are detected in their testing. That's why smell is a seperate test (sort of). BTW, an extra unscheduled air test isn't cheap.

We have come accross tanks of air that smell/tast bad especially after sitting for a while. Usually cleaning the tank takes care of it. I don't know if a little Al oxide will make air smell or not but that's what we usually find in the tanks that stink.

We had some tanks recently that sat filled for several weeks before use and one of them stunk. Only one. The compressor I have now meets modified grade E (with flying colors) without even using the HF. I haven't looked in the tank yet but my wife says she'll find some oxidization. We'll see.

Yes, moisture will do it. Either with steel or AL tanks.

Its pretty easy to get water into a tank in a shop environment if the shop fills wet. And lots of them do. It only takes a bit to get a nasty smell going (consider how nasty a bit of water gets if you leave it sit out and its not sterile - well, guess what - same deal here.) Biological nasties are really bad news, just as are hydrocarbon nasties - you can get an ugly infection from them.

The final filter should be clean in a multi-step filtration system when changed. If the first one is completely visibly clean then you're pumping air in a VERY dry environment and using a RIX or other oilless compressor; down here in Florida that simply won't happen as we're the humidity capital of the world and one of the major functions of the filter stack is to dry the produced gas :)

Most of the "current" model compressors INTENTIONALLY vent their crankcase into the inlet of the first stage. When Bauer started this many years ago people freaked out at the practice. It turns out that from an engineering point of view its a good practice, as it provides just a bit of upper-cylinder lubrication that would otherwise not be present, and that cylinder wear and thus excessive blow-by and contamination upwards into the bore, and the attendant valve sticking that inevitably results, is far more harmful to final air quality. The small amount of gaseous oil that is (intentionally) ingested into the intake by this procedure is easily filtered out by the stack, and the overall result is actually higher quality output gas post-filter than you would otherwise obtain.

I have been instructing for the last 2 weeks on an island and have had up to 25 people using the same air with no problems. I have in the last 2 dives noticed a dish soap like taste. But no one else seems to have this problem whilst diving.

I know we do not use soap to clean our gear just fresh water. so that is ruled out.

If a reg or first stage has been previously flooded and not properly dried and re-serviced, could that be the cause?? or would it smell/taste totally different?
I am concerned and curious as to what this soap taste could be caused by.

Any ideas??

Yack!

That feeling sucks. I've experienced that a few time. The cause of this nuisance is the Station Bank. improper observation of the air the tank has been filled. "bad air" not only tastes and smells horrible it can cause some various affects; vomiting, nausea, headache varies between person to person.

The moment you nice it. Abort a dive and return to the refill station to report it and have a new tank with fresh air provided.

Have fun diving and enjoy!!!

Bad air - review your Dalton's Law. If the taste/smell is actually from the tank, you are breathing whatever is in that tank compounded by your depth.

Nobody has mentioned hoses. A while back I dove with a very old regulator. The air had a strong rubbery taste due to ancient hoses. Once the regulator was rebuilt and equipped with new hoses, the taste went away.

I have noticed that when I had a tank filled from a differant system from my personall system it will taste or smell different for a couple dives. Never had any ill efects from the air. Another good method to remove bad taste and any moistire from a tank is to vaccumn it out with a refrigerant vaccumn pump.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I don't think responding to a thread that has been dead for 8 years is a record, but it can't be far off.

No, this is a concern that deserves a bump.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom