Bad News From Santa Rosa Blue Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There were two dive teams that have been involved with trying to open the cave under Blue Hole, at least that is my understanding based on 2nd or 3rd hand info. The ADM team out of Florida and a Texas based team. I don't know who was working this week.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread has been relocated from the RMR forum.

According to public posts on his facebook page, it's Shane Thompson who has passed. It was Curt Bowen's exploration team. This is a newspaper article that Curt had shared.

Last edited:
I am logging in briefly just to get the basic facts straight and stop the avalanche of rumors I have encountered elsewhere.

Yes there was a single fatality, and it was a member of the cave diving team. The cave has been sealed back up again and will almost certainly never be opened. There is no reason to go in there.It is a deep and dangerous path to nowhere.
How is this different from any other cave/overhead environment?

John,

I am so relieved to hear you are safe my friend. Still sadden to hear about Shane Thompson. My condolences to his family.

Michael

Way tragic. There's nothing down there worth dying for.

I am logging in briefly just to get the basic facts straight and stop the avalanche of rumors I have encountered elsewhere.

Yes there was a single fatality, and it was a member of the cave diving team. The cave has been sealed back up again and will almost certainly never be opened. There is no reason to go in there.It is a deep and dangerous path to nowhere.
Thank you for stopping rumors.

We don't need reactionary statements as to the merits of the cave. This is why other caves were dynamited closed in the past. Unless it is explored there is no way to determine if it goes.

Reports are there may have been some diver error involved. It's a tragic loss, my thoughts are with all involved. Hopefully the exploration will continue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom