Bad fish to eat in Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FoSheZZie23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have heard that if I am going to spearfish close to shore that i need to get a meat testing kit to make sure the fish doesnt have a disease that they tend to get if they eat a certian kind of coral, If that make sence? Has anybody heard anything about fish eating fire coral or some other kind of coral that would make their meat bad? Thanks!

I have never heard of any problem specific to Maui.

Ciguatera is a worldwide problem in tropical areas, particularly in the very biggest of predators like Jacks, and more commonly in the Carribbean. Perhaps that's what someone was telling you about.

Maui Sporting Goods, on Market St. in Wailuku should be able to answer any questions you have. They specialize in spearfishing gear.

Charlie Allen

FWIW, we don't have fire coral here... :)

Another note: Ciguatera is thought to be in a great deal of the reef fishes, but only seems to really accumulate to hazardous levels in the larger predators.

It seems that most here hunt for tako (octopus) and uhu (parrotfish) on the reefs, but will shoot a large ulua (jack) if they see one.

They do sell Ciquatera tests although I'm not sure where you would buy one. (Ask the pharmacist at Long's Drug store in Kihei, they might know). If you don't know what to shoot, then don't shoot anything. It would be a good idea for you to do some research on the types of fish that are good to eat before you even think about getting a gun or a spear. I think what you'll find is that it's very hard to find suitable fish for shooting / eating from shore. My experience shows me that we are running out of fish near shore. I rarely see any large fish, never mind the kind that are good to eat. The shop in Wailuku would be a good place for you to go for info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom