Bad experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

writer

Reaction score
During my OW certification dive in Florida recently, I had a very bad experience and wondered if this has ever happened to anyone else.

The boat had an exhaust problems and, before it was over, 11 of the 18 people on board were sick. Our intructor said this was the first time he had hired this boat, but would never use them again.

But my problems didn't really start until I got into the water. As soon as I hit, my weight belt let go and one of the clasps came loose on my mask. I managed to snag the weight belt with my left hand but had only slightly inflated my BC and had slightly negative buoyancy. I signaled my instructor that I had a problem and he was immediately by my side, That's when I made a HUGE rookie mistake: I spat out my reg to tell him what was happening and, in the process, had a couple of gulps of cool, but very salty sea water. Once we got everything back in place and I was about to give the OK signal, I felt my stomach churn. I terminated the dive, managed to get out of my mask, fins and BC, was smacked in the face with diesel fumes and crawled onto the bow where I spent the next little while hanging over the side "feeding the fish.":wacko:

Looking back on it, I realized that most of my problems came from that fact that both my dive buddy and myself were students. Even though we went through the motions of checking each other's gear, neither of us noticed that my mask clasp wasn't secured. Add that to the fact that we were both extremely nervous and you have a recipe for potential disaster.

Oh, I went in the water the next week and am now OW certified. I'm about to enroll in the AOW class.

I know the textbook said to expect a bad experience every now and then. I just didn't expect mine to come so soon! But, I feel like I got my bad experience out of the way early and now expect a string of enjoyable dives!

Just curious: Are experiences like mine rare?

See you at the bottom!

Ken

really make me sick. Often it depends on how quickly the boat crew can hook to the mooring line or tie to the wreck which determines how long you will be breathing diesel.

As you have recently discovered--diving is all about paying attention to the details :)

Life and diving does get better .. much better.

When I was doing my OW my buddy decended below me and was gone... I was slowly trying to sink below the surface. When I was at about 5m, my buddy was no where to be seen. I later was reunited at the sand 14m down.

the only reason we were back together was my instructor had us do drills together.

But ever since then I've had almost 90 dives that have been great fun. Hang in there is gets better.

writer once bubbled...
[B

Just curious: Are experiences like mine rare?

See you at the bottom!

Ken [/B]

Rare? I'd say they are rare in that quantity.......However, as someone else already pointed out, you need to pay attention to the details. Most (except the fumes) seems to have been preventable.

As you seem to have figured out, don't let go of that reg in your mouth until you are safely under control. If you are in a situation where someone needs to help you, let them look you over and fix things that are wrong.

Just move forward, pay attention to the details, do good buddy checks, etc.

You may want to consider that being certified doesn't mean that S-Drills are over...Do OOA drills every dive or two...

And...HAVE FUN!

Ken - I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience!

The deisel fume situation sounds a little out of hand - perhaps the boat crew was having a bad day, but I probably wouldn't subject myself to that again anyway.

The in water experiences you describe are not uncommon with new classes -- usually one or two students will have a hard time and need some helping along, for whatever reason. It sounds like the fumes made most of your party sick, and destroyed everyones focus.

As Sean said - keep with it, enjoy your new experiences, and never stop training!

Best,
Atticus

Diesel fumes make me sick, and like you, my first OW dive was horrible. If I hadn't done a resort course dive in the Caribbean prior to the class, I'm not sure what I would have thought about SCUBA after that.

The shoulder strap on my cheap rental BC tore,and the whole rig dropped right off of me while I was standing on the beach. The tank almost broke my ankle.

My rental wetsuit had two big holes, one in the crotch and one on the rearend.

The water was 50 degrees, the vis was about two feet, and the current was running.

Jen's suit was too big, and she almost froze to death. Her lips were bright blue when we got out.

After the first day, we purchased our own wetsuits, and day two went more smoothly. A week later we got all new gear, and it's been great fun ever since. Hang in there....

Scott

One of my supervisors learned that I was going on a liveaboard. He spent many years diving, and has a lot of experience. The only thing he told me was "Watch those diesel fumes." He told me of a story involving the whole boat getting sick from the fumes, almost ruining the trip. I guess it does happen...
:guitar:

ScottyK once bubbled...
My rental wetsuit had two big holes, one in the crotch and one on the rearend.

For the WarHammer Manuever perhaps??? :D

LOL- I was wondering what the student before me was willing to do for a C-card :D Then the cold water flushed in..............

Cave Diver once bubbled...

For the WarHammer Manuever perhaps??? :D

What's the warhammer manuever? Do I even want to know?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom