Bad experience with Diversdiscount (scuba.com)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mdr231

Reaction score
This morning I woke up to another e-mail advertisement from Diversdiscount. In it they had an Oceanic travel bag on sale from their normal price of $199 down to $79. Since I was looking for a bag, I ordered 2 (one for my son & one for me). The bag sells for about $149 at Leisurepro (where I have bought online and had only good experiences) so I figured this was a pretty good deal. Well, turns out it was as little too good to be true. They canceled my order saying the price they -meant- to advertise was $139. Which isn't such a great deal. I didn't argue- how could I compell them to honor their advertisement (which was unsolicited, btw). It's been my experience, though, that retailers will typically honor pricing errors (at least until they've had a chance to alert consumers that there is an error). Just thought I'd share this as a data point for y'all.

Michael

I can think of past companies that have gotten into this mess. United had some some tickets to France a few years back for some rediculous price. People ticked it and they tried to come back and cancel their reservations. People raised holy hell and United backed down.

You might find out what state they are in and complain to the Atty G's office or to the FTC ... doubt it will go very far. Worse case if they are $10 cheaper then Leisure Pro it cant really be that bad of a deal. IE what does your LDS charge for it?

But God I just had some fun with the stupid Virtual Instructor on their website.

Maybe I should rethink buying things online.

I think the worst part is that their web site accepted the order for the original discounted price (yeah- the Oceanic Excursion Plus for $79.99). So, they advertised a price, accepted, & processed the order on their site, confirmed the order by e-mail, then withdrew the sale. Very shabby.

No idea what it goes for locally. I don't have the energy to complain to their state consumer agency. This is all I could muster the energy for :banging: , though I do intend to express my displeasure by taking my business elsewhere.

Michael

mdr231 once bubbled...
I think the worst part is that their web site accepted the order for the original discounted price (yeah- the Oceanic Excursion Plus for $79.99). So, they advertised a price, accepted, & processed the order on their site, confirmed the order by e-mail, then withdrew the sale. Very shabby.

No idea what it goes for locally. I don't have the energy to complain to their state consumer agency. This is all I could muster the energy for :banging: , though I do intend to express my displeasure by taking my business elsewhere.

Michael

The website accepting the order probably means that you made an offer to purchase which needs to be reviewed (and if ok, accepted) by a human....Since it was a mistake, cancellation is probably legal.

If not a mistake, I'd be plenty upset...heh

That virtual scuba instructor is funny...

What is your favorite movie?
My favorite movie is The Abyss.Have you seen The Abyss ?

What is DIR?
I will ask my botmaster for the answer.

What are wings?
Are you using Netscape or Explorer?

What kinds of BCDs are there?
The best kinds.

Are there toilets underwater?
Yes I think there are.

What should you eat before you dive?
Whatever you like.

For the most part we need to keep in mind a lot more often that people are people and they can make mistakes from time to time.

This may have been a bummer, and even disappointing, but when it all boils down to it, they made an honest mistake.

From my past experiences I've found Scuba.com (DDS) to have informative people on the phone who seem to actually use the gear they are telling you about when I've had questions, have found them to be responsive to concerns, and in the past have had quite good dealings with them.

I've used them in the past, probably will again, and have reccomended them to my friends on more than one occasion.

She apparently doesn't know politics very well. She told me the prime minister of France is Tony Blair.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom