Bad chinese spool reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You’ll find the ones from piranha dive are similar in price to Chinese knock offs but decent quality. For all spools, they should be unwound and rewound favoring one side and generally remove a good portion of line from them.

Cheap crap is cheap for a reason. Mainly that they stole the Intellectual Property from the original developers.

Apeks spent a lot of money developing and testing their reels. They are very good, but have very special string (and need all sorts of special "knitting" to ensure a double-ender doesn't unclip!).
That special Apeks "string" (sic) must have cost them millions to develop.

That special Apeks "string" (sic) must have cost them millions to develop.
Then there's the special Apeks swivel. The special knots to the swivel. The selection of the stiff string, stitching, sheathing, shape, length. Development of the reel shape for the optimum string length. How the holes are cut, the design of the shape of the reel. Selection of the metal alloy. Anodising and specification. Branding...

All ripped off in the blink of an eye. One expects that they stole a reel to copy it too?

Then there's the minimum wage paid to the people who make it. The health and safety requirements to protect those workers. Taxes paid to the government. General standards and conditions of employment.

The end result is a poor copy -- or why is the bootlace string used and why doesn't it work? Apeks not being paid for their IP. Apeks loosing sales. Apeks getting less work and (conceivably) Apeks workers loosing their jobs.

I know this might not go down well in some places, but this kind of commercial malfeasance really should have a cost applied to it.

Then there's the special Apeks swivel. The special knots to the swivel. The selection of the stiff string, stitching, sheathing, shape, length. Development of the reel shape for the optimum string length. How the holes are cut, the design of the shape of the reel. Selection of the metal alloy. Anodising and specification. Branding...

All ripped off in the blink of an eye. One expects that they stole a reel to copy it too?

Then there's the minimum wage paid to the people who make it. The health and safety requirements to protect those workers. Taxes paid to the government. General standards and conditions of employment.

The end result is a poor copy -- or why is the bootlace string used and why doesn't it work? Apeks not being paid for their IP. Apeks loosing sales. Apeks getting less work and (conceivably) Apeks workers loosing their jobs.

I know this might not go down well in some places, but this kind of commercial malfeasance really should have a cost applied to it.

Apeks swivels suck, fishing swivels suck - I've used them all I think..........

The Apeks spool suffers from that when you've arrived at the surface. I always clip it off with two clips (the double-ender and the SMB clip) prior to handing up to the boat.

When you're mid water and have clipped off the double-ender, you'd be wise to add a twist or two to the double-ender prior to clipping on to the spool, and make sure the double ender's got a cave wrap around it. Otherwise the double ender can easily pop out when waves make it bounce.

The Apeks reels are easy enough for jumps because there's just a line with a stiff end to push through the holes and clip to the double-ender.

I like that a 60m spool easily fits in the pocket. That definitely won't be the case with the Chinese knock-off.

Yeah, because Apeks invented the diving finger spool.

Perhaps the cost of the one from China gives one an idea just how much they are getting bilked for the one made by Apeks.

-Z

I think I might share my disappointing experience

I'm sorry for you that despite having the measurements of your purchase
it was difficult to fathom the tininess, of this magnificent Chinese product.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom