What is the secret to neatly winding a reel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those recommending to use a drill....I can easily rig up something to attach my spool to a drill but how do you attach a reel to a drill without taking the reel apart?

-Z

For those recommending to use a drill....I can easily rig up something to attach my spool to a drill but how do you attach a reel to a drill without taking the reel apart?

-Z
You kinda can't. The reel needs to come apart. Personally, I either toss the reel in a bucket of water or after a dive outing when I'm rinsing gear and it's still wet, I run it around my yard and reel it back in.

-Z

Depends on the reel. If you're really snazzy you use a Divesoft that has the hole broached for the little drive shaft. If you have a reel with "spokes" you can easily whip something up that will engage the spokes on the reel. With a normal sidewinder I've done it with a rubber friction pad type of thing like you'd use for putting sandpaper or a buffing pad thing on a drill.

Although most reels aren't designed with features to be used with a common drill to wind line, most are pretty easily adapted with even a modicum of mechanical aptitude, without resorting to taking them apart.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom