Bad attitudes about solo diving are still prevalent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Solo diving can have hidden risks leading to fatality. I teach the PADI self-reliant (read: solo) diving course, but I rarely do it myself, because my wife would kill me if she knew.

My fiancee is really freaked out whenever I dive solo. She'd kill me if I died diving. She just wants a text when I'm out of the water. That works for me. If I switch to a rebreather, then the solo diving will be put on hold for a quite a while.

My fiancee is really freaked out whenever I dive solo. She'd kill me if I died diving. She just wants a text when I'm out of the water. That works for me.

Substitute Wife and Mom instead of fiance and I'm right there with you.

"Posted about a (solo) shore dive in a local facebook group and the discussion quickly shifted to how I was going to die because I'm a solo diver."

Diving solo doesn't kill you just like guns don't kill people. It's just that you have fewer options if a problem occurs such as equipment failure.

I have been very lucky and not had anyone give me grief about diving solo. I often dive off a commercial dive boat and they automatically assume I'm going to dive solo if my wife isn't with me (they call it "doing my own thing").

If someone answered my question, then I missed it. Are there any other certification levels that dive ops may accept as being equal to or instead of "Solo?" For example, would a diver with a Master Scuba Diver card be exempt from being required to have a separate Solo card, at least with some ops?

If someone answered my question, then I missed it. Are there any other certification levels that dive ops may accept as being equal to or instead of "Solo?" For example, would a diver with a Master Scuba Diver card be exempt from being required to have a separate Solo card, at least with some ops?
I don't think so, would require solo diver, self reliant diver or something equivalent

Not sure but believe the Solo card is required by most dive ops. The Solo course teaches you about redundant equipment needs as well as techniques. Solo is one of the specialties offered in order to get the Master Diver card.

Are there any other certification levels that dive ops may accept as being equal to or instead of "Solo?" For example, would a diver with a Master Scuba Diver card be exempt from being required to have a separate Solo card, at least with some ops?
I am not aware of other 'certifications' that routinely substitute. I am familiar with dive ops where certain well-known (to the op) divers are allowed to dive solo, irrespective of whether they have a solo / self-reliant certification..

I am not aware of other 'certifications' that routinely substitute. I am familiar with dive ops where certain well-known (to the op) divers are allowed to dive solo, irrespective of whether they have a solo / self-reliant certification..
Yes, I dived solo for many years with ops familiar with me prior to getting solo cert. The cert mainly helps with ops I have not dived with.

Are there any other certification levels that dive ops may accept as being equal to or instead of "Solo?"

Some might take other certs, just depends on the op. This one takes Self-Reliant, Solo, or Full Cave, FAQs — Kraken Springs Scuba and Watersports Park.

On why bad attitudes: Your going against what I learned/teach threatens me as a diver/instructor. Some are invested in 'buddy for safety', as the (one) true way.

For caves or deep, some people take on more risk, but dive in teams. That still makes sense.

But some folk dive solo, maybe with more risk, for no more reason than they would rather.... It's hard to reconcile that with what others were told or teach.

Seeing more than one way might be hard for some. Or that others might be capable of night, rocky shore, solo dives, if their own thing is limited to chaperoned tropic reef dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom