Bad attitudes about solo diving are still prevalent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One would think, the "DEAD HORSE" of SOLO diving, of " OH MY GOD YOUR GOING TO DIE" would be beaten to oblivion by now, but no it hasn't, it would seem.

1st, If you want to solo dive, then solo dive, it's your risk and no one else's, period.

2nd, If divers don't like it then, I'll use a saying we had in the Corps. Pack Sand.

3rd, Your going to have the "SUPER SCUBERs " telling you how you are a bad and dangerous diver, again for response, see above.

4rd, Make sure you are trained and or confident in you diving abilities and have the proper gear, but I highly recommend the solo course from SDI, I took it and learned much from the course.

Dive and have fun...

I am not aware of any country that has an actual law against solo diving.

Greece, because there are boatloads (pun intended) of shipwrecks down there with ancient antiquities. The shallower ones have been pillaged. But I don't want to take this too off topic.

Greece, because there are boatloads (pun intended) of shipwrecks down there with ancient antiquities. The shallower ones have been pillaged. But I don't want to take this too off topic.

Since we are in the general area of the topic, how would there be a difference in pillage between solo and buddy? Seems that with a buddy twice as much could be hauled away.

Bob

Since we are in the general area of the topic, how would there be a difference in pillage between solo and buddy? Seems that with a buddy twice as much could be hauled away.

Bob
Let me clarify. You always have to be with a guide. You cannot go off by yourself.

Now I get it, not a solo thing at all, more of a hall monitor.

Bob
You have to be buddied up with someone. And not to far from the hall monitor ... ahem ... dive guide.

Hello
Anyone got any ideas about getting a copy of
False Evidence Appearing Real for Dummies

Also after a manual Stifling Solo Diving Pests

Thanks

Recreational diving is governed by insurers. Back in the day, I have been told that I am not allowed to dive off a particular boat with a back-inflate BC, or to use Nitrox, or to fill my steel tanks above 1800 psi (yes really), etc. I came to understand that these were often stipulated in insurance contracts and perhaps arbitrary. The prohibition of solo diving (boats, public beaches, quarries, resorts, clubs, etc.) regardless of certification usually is at the direction of the insurance company in an effort to minimize claims. I don’t feel the need to challenge the insurers of the operators. I comply with the agreement that I sign. However, I make nearly all my dives in solo kit because neither the insurers nor the operators can guarantee the performance of a buddy at the moment one is needed.

Let me clarify. You always have to be with a guide. You cannot go off by yourself
SB is amazing. Learning something new every single day. Today I learnt that I've done 40 or so illegal dives! Not solo, but without guides. Are you sure about this? I've never been told about this law. Our LDS even encourage us to dive ourselves, especially when they are busy with tourists.
I know there are a lot of areas that are forbidden (even for guided dives) because of ancient wrecks, ruins etc, but that's another story.
Actually we've been checked by coast guards a couple of times, but they were looking only for fishing tools (fishing with scuba is strictly forbidden - although it happens).
Well now that I know I'll have to search more about it. I hope you are wrong.
Regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom