Bad air originating in tank and not compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone know of an analyzer that gives me both CO and O2, can be used easily on the boat, and preferably doesn't cost too much?
I just keep mine in a single box with one connection to the inflator hose so they can both be tested at the same time. My CO meter can also shut off my compressor! Cheap insurance as I learned my lesson on a liveaboard that made 14 people sick from CO poisoning.

attachment.php

Any chemists out there?
My partner is a chemical engineer. She did a few minutes of research and said it is possible but mentioned heat, and when I said like around 100 degrees, she said no far higher. The reality is the rust and the CO are probably coincidence and nothing more.

The only way an animal or plant can produce CO is if you set it on fire... and I'm not even sure about that unless it was a duck found floating beside the Exxon Valdez.

Here's a question... would a CO analyzer detect methane? In theory, decaying plants or animals could produce methane CH4???
Well, if you're going to put such absolute statements out there - yeah, your own body produces CO that can be seen on a breath test. That's a popular bump test for an analyzer.

And CO sensors can react to other gases, yes. Some gives false positives from farts. :laughing:

I didn't need that image Don. Besides you are not supposed to light them.

Maybe clutching at straws here but I am wondering if an aggressive rusting process could strip oxygen atoms from CO2 as the atmosphere contains about 300+ ppm of CO2 which I don't believe is removed by hopcalite which only converts CO to CO2. Any chemists out there?

The only thing that rusting will do is drop the O2 content. Given enough time (months in a wet steel tank) it could drop it enough to make the gas hypoxic (University of Rhode Island study).

Well, if you're going to put such absolute statements out there - yeah, your own body produces CO that can be seen on a breath test. That's a popular bump test for an analyzer.

When I talked to Nuvair, they recommended heavily against breathing into a CO analyzer as the moisture is bad for the sensor. Not confirmed from any other sources, but I sure don't want to damage my sensor.

When I talked to Nuvair, they recommended heavily against breathing into a CO analyzer as the moisture is bad for the sensor. Not confirmed from any other sources, but I sure don't want to damage my sensor.
Some sensors don't handle moisture as well as others, true. Also a problem taking it to a dive destination. The Pocket CO I tried first failed me in several ways, but my Analox and my Sensorcon are built to handle the exposure. Follow your manufacture's direction, but my point was that your absolute stated leaked: Living organisms, including us, do produce small amounts of CO.

May be a popular bump test but it's not a good one. Your body does not produce CO. Any CO that comes out is just stuff offgassing because you breathed it in. That's why smokers have a higher level of CO than non-smokers.

May be a popular bump test but it's not a good one. Your body does not produce CO. Any CO that comes out is just stuff offgassing because you breathed it in. That's why smokers have a higher level of CO than non-smokers.
Smokers do exhale more CO that non-smokers, but yeah - everyone does produce a little, and Analox recommends blowing as bump test. I'm sure this is not commonly known for where else could it matter? From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide
It is toxic to humans and animals when encountered in higher concentrations, although it is also produced in normal animal metabolism in low quantities, and is thought to have some normal biological functions.

Last edited:
I don't know much about CO testers, but I can't imagine aerating salt water through them is a good thing. I would think there really was no CO in the tank and the salty cocktail was making the meter produce a false reading.

Don't shoot me down guys but you know household CO detectors such as fireangel etc could you use one of those as these detect low PPM and are readily available for £15 - £25. I know you might get a few sideways looks but if you haven't got the funds for a "proper" analyser could this be used (slight air purge out of tank)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom