Backward kick and cramps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would also look into technique, in addition to nutrition/hydration. If the cramp only shows up during the back kick, not during other kicks, it’s more likely a technique issue.

Why do you constantly need to back kick? Are you back kicking into a (strong) current? If there is no or little current, and you need to back kick constantly, that would indicate that you are doing some other movements that propel you forward. That results in the need for a back kick to compensate.

The other thing is back kick effectiveness and efficiency, which also is a result of technique. When I started with tech, I would also need to kick all the time to stay in one spot, and it was really hard back kicking work to move backwards against a current. Now, after C2 (full cave) and T1 (Trimix), it’s just one slow but powerful back kick and I can glide backwards several meters.

So I would agree, try to get someone to video you and it would be easier to point out specific things.

nanners. eat mo nanners.

I eat reguarly 1-2 bananas per day, so I ruled out magnesium.

Cramp in this situation is generally due to technique issues. I suspect that you are working too hard on the back kick, possibly with the wrong movements. This means that you're working opposing muscles at the same time, and that leads to cramp. The back kick should be really slow and relaxed. There isn't really any power used in a back kick, so it shouldn't cause to you cramp.
Maybe get someone to video you doing it, and then we can advise more.

HTH
John

I would also look into technique, in addition to nutrition/hydration. If the cramp only shows up during the back kick, not during other kicks, it’s more likely a technique issue.

Why do you constantly need to back kick? Are you back kicking into a (strong) current? If there is no or little current, and you need to back kick constantly, that would indicate that you are doing some other movements that propel you forward. That results in the need for a back kick to compensate.

The other thing is back kick effectiveness and efficiency, which also is a result of technique. When I started with tech, I would also need to kick all the time to stay in one spot, and it was really hard back kicking work to move backwards against a current. Now, after C2 (full cave) and T1 (Trimix), it’s just one slow but powerful back kick and I can glide backwards several meters.

So I would agree, try to get someone to video you and it would be easier to point out specific things.

Technique may well be an issue. I just completed my rec fundies recently (one of the cramp situations was after some minutes of continuous practice, the other in a liveaboard immediately after).

I will try to get someone to record the current state of my backward kick for analysis (I suspect I am working too hard due to unitentional forward movements between kicks).

Cramp in this situation is generally due to technique issues. I suspect that you are working too hard on the back kick, possibly with the wrong movements. This means that you're working opposing muscles at the same time, and that leads to cramp. The back kick should be really slow and relaxed. There isn't really any power used in a back kick, so it shouldn't cause to you cramp.
Maybe get someone to video you doing it, and then we can advise more.

HTH
John
I have to agree with John. On occasion, I will swim laps around the pool using a back kick. As long as the kick is slow, deliberate, and I'm not trying to power it or go for speed, it doesn't have any detrimental physical effects. I have had students come and tell me they got cramps in the calf, ankle, and even toe cramps trying to do a back kick. When we get in the pool, unless they are using split fins (I can back kick quite effectively in atomic splits), it clearly is all about technique and trying to make the foot and fins do something they don't want to do.

To illustrate it I'll do a lap of the pool backward with no fins. Then I have them work on it that way. Sometimes I have to take their legs and have them hold onto the ladder and move them the way they should be kicking. Emphasizing they need to pay attention to how the motion feels and nothing else. I have them close their eyes and "see" their legs moving. SLOWLY.

Usually, one pool session like this is enough to get them started and it's made clear that if the try to gain speed, they will probably find themselves making zero progress or even going forward. It's all about working with the water and not against it. Over time speed will come. Not necessarily with increased effort. As they gain insight into body position, trim, and get smoother in the motions they will move faster and momentum will start to play a part.

Another point is that there will be some days when it seems the kick just goes to hell. Seemingly for no reason. But if analyzed there is always a reason. Too much power, too fast, poor body posture, etc. When it happens for me I know it instantly and just stop dead. No motion in any direction. Breathe, think, breathe, and then act after analyzing my posture, trim, etc. and it all comes back again.

I eat reguarly 1-2 bananas per day, so I ruled out magnesium.

Technique may well be an issue. I just completed my rec fundies recently (one of the cramp situations was after some minutes of continuous practice, the other in a liveaboard immediately after).

I will try to get someone to record the current state of my backward kick for analysis (I suspect I am working too hard due to unitentional forward movements between kicks).
If you are moving forward between kicks it is technique. Putting too much effort into the loading for the kick and likely the fin tips are dropping or folding up due to too much power resulting in forward motion.

...(I suspect I am working too hard due to unitentional forward movements between kicks).

Forward movement between kicks is often due to cutting the glide phase short and immediately resetting.

After you backkick, if you immediately reset, it will stop your backward propulsion and propel you forward, so you don't get anywhere. You have to let yourself glide until you're no longer moving backwards, then re-set.

Cramping can also result from over-stressing the muscles. That means you need to practice the back-kick more, and strengthen the involved muscles.

I'm no expert. But I can sympathise - I had the exact same issue when I started to learn the back-kick. I'd cramp like a mofo several kicks in. But over time, it just stopped happening. I'm not sure if it was technique improvement or my body adapting, but it just went away thankfully.

Bananas, Potassium and/or Magnesium supplements, hydration, and my miracle cure if you are in an area that has it cheap enough...coconut water (pineapple flavored please). We will usually freeze several and throw them in the dry bag. By the surface interval they are perfectly ice cold.

It seems that after getting warm during the surface interval, then dropping back in, I am prone to insane groin and hamstring cramps. Loading up on several coconut waters and bananas on the SI really helps.

Good luck.
Jay
I give no medical advice of course, but being very prone to cramping due to heredity, I ended the cramping while diving by taking a daily potassium pill as recommended by my doctor. Other Dr.s say potassium pills can be no good for you, so I recommend getting info. from a Dr. that is right for you. I no longer take them, and rarely cramp now. My Dr. says it may be because being on high blood pressure pills by itself helps prevent cramps. Bananas are good--if you like them--AND if you don't mind pretty much eating them every day.....

I went with the oldest advice ever. Dr., it hurts when I do this...We stop doing that!
I still find myself frog-kicking when I'm over a silty area, but I try to move extremely slowly underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom