Backup Wrist Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe I'm overthinking this.

I'm looking to buy a backup computer, wrist style. I am strictly a vacation, recreational diver. I simply like the idea of having a second computer that goes with me on my dives, in case of some failure of my primary during a dive (or during a trip). (If that were to happen, I'd continue to use my SPG and compass on my console, or rent one from the shop where I was diving, if they had failed as well. So I'm not looking for those features on a backup.) I don't need lots of bells and whistles, and there are a number of models that I think would be great for me.

My question is this: what is everyone's thinking on the need for your backup computer being the same as your primary? Exact brand? Just similar algorithm? What about having a backup that uses a different algorithm from your primary? Do people feel this is an absolute no-no, or is it the perfect approach?

Discuss.

The oceanic BUD is tailor made for this situation. It clips on your Bcd and you forget it till you need it. The algorithm can be adjusted to match most computers. It's relatively inexpensive too, IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great post as I was also thinking about getting a back up computer. A few things:

1) I have been told that the BUD computer needs to be programmed for PO2 settings before each dive. This sounds like a major hassle. If you have to reprogram the darn thing before each dive, there is considerable task loading between dives and that would take away a lot from over all convenience and ease of use. Can an actual user confirm this.

2) To the OP, I have a Suunto Zoop and I believe it is best to have two of those. On a liveaboard, if one breaks then you have a second one with your dive data already available.

You can leave the B.U.D. on air if you do not dive nitrox.
If you dive nitrox and want to track your CNS you will need to set the correct fO2 after analyzing your tank.

You can leave the B.U.D. on air if you do not dive nitrox.
If you dive nitrox and want to track your CNS you will need to set the correct fO2 after analyzing your tank.

I understand that part but once you have set it. Do you have to reset it between dives during surface intervals or no.

I have a suunto as my primary and oceanic as my backup, the dual algorithm used to bother me a bit but not anymore, I never look at the backup unless something happened to the primary (which hasn't happened yet)

I have a suunto as my primary and oceanic as my backup, the dual algorithm used to bother me a bit but not anymore, I never look at the backup unless something happened to the primary (which hasn't happened yet)

Why was dual algo bothersome? If you set it to the same as Suunto, isn't that good enuff?

Hi suzbo,

Personally, I would use a backup computer running the same algorithm as the primary. I use an Oceanic VT3 as primary and a Geo2 with an SPG as backup, both running DSAT. In my case, I don't want a more conservative computer controlling my dives. My 2 Oceanics run within a minute of each other, I make sure both are clear when surfacing. Most of my dive trips are multiday, multiple dives per day, backup is to ensure I don't lose dives or series. I've had the VT3 for about 3 1/2 years and about 360 dives, the Geo2 is a little newer. Thus far, I've had no need for the backup but am glad it's there. When the VT3 is limited by air time, I glance at my Geo2 for NDL informaion rather than scrolling screens on the VT3.

In your case, your Suunto will likely be controlling your dive, regardless of what you use for your backup. A Suunto backup would make sense to me unless you intend on switching brands and algorithms and this is the 1st step.

Good diving, Craig

Maybe I'm overthinking this. . . . My question is this: what is everyone's thinking on the need for your backup computer being the same as your primary? Exact brand? Just similar algorithm? What about having a backup that uses a different algorithm from your primary? Do people feel this is an absolute no-no, or is it the perfect approach?
You are not over-thinking, just asking questions. Nothing wrong with that. As for having a back-up computer, for vacation-based, recreational diving, that is identical to, or different from, your primary, neither situation is either a non-no, or perfect My thinking - it really doesn't make a lot of difference.

I routinely dive with two computers, sometimes three. None are the same - a Suunto (HeLO2), a Dive Rite (Nitek He), and a Liquivision (X1). The NDLs differ somewhat across them, but for recreational diving, it isn't a big issue for me. I use the computer for depth and time information, and for NDL data. I prefer the X1 because it is easiest to read, I like the HeLO2 because it syncs (well, most of the time) with my pressure transmitter, and I like all three because I don't dive with a depth gauge - they are my depth gauge.

I dive with 2, to have a back-up. I dive with 3 when I am curious to compare data across algorithms. If both, or all 3, fail (unlikely) - on a recreational dive - I don't really care. I pretty much know table NDLs for most depths, and I doubt I will exceed them.

I see no compelling rationale either for making the back-up the same, or for making it different, although I guess I could make an argument for either. Your needs may differ.

I can't set it to the same algo as the suunto though, the closest I was able to get was 2 minutes more conservative than the suunto.

Back
Top Bottom