Backup lights - a discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny, I have over 70 dives on my el-cheapo PrincetonTecs. Not a problem with them. Of course, they've only been to 120ft in cold water frequently.

wow... i have a cheapo UK SL6 as my primary backup, which i love. nice light, never
given me a problem.

my secondary back-up is much more expensive (one of the DiveRites single-block
kevlar or something jobs) and while it hasn't given me any trouble either, i don't like
the quality of light at all.

so... both my back up lights are reliable, but i prefer the UK one.

I have one SL-6 (bought when on the spur of the moment decided not to dive Venice, but go to a cavern instead back around xmas) and a surge (which was part of a multi-light pack that i bought when i first started diving and needed a primary and back-up and seemed a good deal). So they are both strapped on my shoulders, but i do actually dislike the SL models, they are way too bulky to get in the innertubes i have on my shoulder straps (which the surge slides into quite nicely) - so i am thinking of getting another type of back up light now as my secondary back up to go with my surge (which i find is a nice light) - might even get another one of those as i bought Becky two for her primary and secondary back-ups.

Thinking about a Pelican SuperSabre, but haven't seen one in person. How do these fair as backups? A search here seemed to be fairly positive....

Jim

simbrooks:
but i do actually dislike the SL models, they are way too bulky

that they are...

but i like that... it's easy to get my hands around them
and turn the switch on and off

H2Andy:
that they are...

but i like that... it's easy to get my hands around them
and turn the switch on and off
Wanna buy an SL6?? :wink:

ah... yes, actually :wink:

So has anyone tried some of the new Luxeon Star LED lights yet?

http://www.ccrane.com/expedition-star-led-flashlight.aspx

Seem to be a good strong beam (unlike older White LED technologies) and a fairly small package. Nice not having to worry about a bulb going out, and with a 10-100 hour burn time, even if you accidentally left it on for a few hours, it's not a big deal. (I used to have an older style White LED light, which I accidentally left on for 2 weeks - still burning when I found it in my suitcase - getting pretty weak, but still going)

I think LED lights have incredible advantages in longevity and durability, but the LED lights I have seen are pretty weak in the lumen department. I wonder how that new star bulb from the above link shines out...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom