Backup Light??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

citydiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone,
My husband and I are looking for a good backup light...Something small that will fit in our BC pockets...Any suggestions? There are so many out there....
We do mostly warm water diving..

Thanks

My favorite is the PCA Light. Since it uses 6-AA batteries, it is brighter than the 4-AA like the UK Q40 and it has a switch with a lock so it doesn't accidently come on and run down the batteries. And the screw on - screw off style seem to flood more (normally due to user error... don't screw too far the wrong way!)

I like my UK SL4, which is my backup light for evening and night dives. It fits nicely into my BC pocket and it's easy to get in and out with gloves on. It also works well enough to double as a regular light on day dives when I want a bit of extra light to peek into and see what's hiding inside the cracks and crevices.

The UK SL4 is a very nice backup light.. it's small enough to fit in a pocket and is very bright.

The Princeton Tec 40 is a very good one too.. 4 AA's so it's smaller than the SL4 and still puts out plenty of light. Only about $15 each.

My backup light is a UK Mini Q40 LED model, purchased from Larry at ScubaToys for about $30. It uses 4 AA batteries and a white LED bulb, and provides great illumination for its size. It has an attachment that allows me to carry it on the side of my mask (opposite side from the snorkel), or I can clip it to my BC or place it in my BC pocket.

I like the twist on/off switch, though I'm careful not to twist it too far when I turn it off. I often wear gloves when I dive, and for me, this type switch is the easiest to operate on a small light.

citydiver:
Hey everyone,
My husband and I are looking for a good backup light...Something small that will fit in our BC pockets...Any suggestions? There are so many out there....
We do mostly warm water diving..

Thanks

My wife and I each have the Princeton Tec TEC-400 as back-ups. They fit fine in our BC pockets. We had only those with us on a lake dive that went pitch black below 50 feet and they did very well. I'm confident that they are adequate as true back-ups for night dives. Our primaries are Shockwave LED units.

We may pick up a pair of TEC-40s as resident BC lights for looking into crevices during the day.

Pete

Thanks everyone I am going to check those out...We are using UK Canon's as our primary's and I thought we should have some backups.....

The PCA are good small lights. I'm partial to the Pelican SuberSabre. UK is another good company.

My jacket BC always has a UK SL4 in pocket, day or night. The batteries last a season and it's pretty durable.

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom