Backup light review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My thoughts on backup lights:

Cheap - Princeton Tec 40 (about $12-15) nice power, not the depth rating of the PT as only 1 o ring (had mine to 150' though). Nice small size.

Need combat ready, mega depth, bullet proof, long burn time, tight beam - PT torpedo LED.

I have both - and often use both as primary lights depending on the situation. Then again I am a light minimalist.

Neither is very large and fit comfortably from my right d ring to the surgical tubing holder on my harness under my arm - no dangles. Personally, I hate the large handhelds. They are about as streamlined as a semi. Go canister before using them.
You would not believe how many people I know that have the large (8c or d lights with pistol grips) lights that leave them in their bag because they are too much bother - 'course dive shops don't want to hear this given these mega canons are $$$...

Ikelite 4 c cell light is ok too -primary or backup).

jtivat:
The UK Q40 eLed uses four AA cells and uses an ABS and polycarbonate plastic construction (not sure what that means but the stuff is tough) on the body with a rubber coated lexon head. UK claims it uses a 2 watt emitter and has a double optic system which gives a some what square beam that is pretty wide. The output claims 40 lumens with a 4-5 hour burn time. The Q40 eLed is a nice light for the price ($39) but I would not put my life on the line with it. There is no rear attachment point and it only uses one o-ring. I consider it a great backup light for a warm water night dive but not the inside a Wreck in Lake Michigan at 160’.

I don't have that many back up lights as you have though.

Based on my experience, UK Q40 eLed Plus is the best choice as a back up light.

It is true that the beam is a little bit wider, but it isn't that much not to use as a signal device. I have used it at Oriskany and FL caves as a back up light. It works very well. I have also had DR, Halcyon, and Photon. But, UK Q40 eLed Plus is hard to beat in the quality, price, and warranty wises.

To me, a back up is back up, not a primary.

Just my 2 bar...

Like you, I had nothing but good things to say about the MiniQ40 eLED Plus until about a month back, in the space of 2 days, I've had to replace the 2w LED module on my MiniQ40 eLED Plus 3 times..... the first module stopped working after about 9mths, and my dealer said the warranty was for only 30days, I figured, OK, I'll get a new one then. Note, it was used as a backup, strapped to my harness and packed away with the batteries removed when I'm not diving... hardly used that I've not had to replace the batteries (duracells) ever.... I turn it on everytime I put the batteries in to check and once more when I'm in the water at depth to check....

He brought out a new blister packed MiniQ40 eLED Plus and the moment we turned it on.... the LED module blew.... OK... 2 strikes. He didn't have any left in the shop and said he'd get me a new set by the next day... I went back the following day and opened the new set. turned it on and the light output was dim, blue and about as bright as the older 1w version.... 3rd strike.... we finally got one that worked properly after we opened up another pack....

After this entire episode, I no longer have as much faith or put as much trust in the 2w version... seems like there is a quality control issue.........

I have a standard Mini Q40. Great little light I just don't like that the mount is on the top-side. Good for a pocket backup. I thought I was on to something so I pulled it apart along with my Mini maglite with LED module I bought for it. If I could figure out how to get the halogen bulb out of the lamp "module" I'd try to fit the led module. If the lamp has pins like in a maglite you may be able to fix it with a cheap off the shelf solution. If the lamp is soldered in then that sucks forcing one to replace the whole proprietary module.

Any twisted bezel designed back up light can be flooded. You should be careful and get used to how to turn on/off.

You should NOT turn on the light if you suspect any flood and water drop inside. Never and ever.
Just disassemble and dry it out completely.

Second, inspect the light after the dive and take out the battery when you have done all dives on that day. It will last very long.

Third, don't forget to put some lube on O-ring. It is a "must do" thing.

If you follow the direction above, it will last long.

Been there done that so many times.

hoosier, are you responding to my post about the MiniQ40 eLEDs? or an even earlier post? cause mine weren't flooded....

By and large, Not only on a specific post..

The light is also a mass production and is assembled with many parts from a various OEM.

It is getting hard to expect the better quality control more and more...

Just my 2 bar.

For some unknown reason, I don't really have $150 do spend on a dive light (esp. a back-up) :) What do you guys think about the Tek-tite lights in comparison?

Have you considered an SL4 eLED? It's got the same bulb assembly (I think) as the Salvo and Photon Torpedo but uses four C batteries. It's fifty bucks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom