Backup light review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My conclusion is that the PT ($138) and OMS (~$75) are the best choices.

Any one have first hand opinion on the OMS Vega...does anyone use this as their backup light?

How are you defining best? Brightest?? Have you ever exited a cave on a backup light?

I've played with the OMS Vega light, the PT, I own a scout, and have carried the Green Force. Each have their pluses and minuses. I like the PT very much. I would not want to have to exit with the OMS Vega. And I am not saying it's a bad light, it was just not very comfortable to me. The Green Force was a PITA to carry on the harness.

Again, much depends on your use for a light.

Hi compudude

Mike, have you seen this light? I wonder how it compares to the TillyTec?

Jep, the Schulz GS35. You´re good informed - it´s quite new and it uses not the same led emitter like tilly´s W30 but it is up-to-date, too. From what I´ve heard it´s not so bright like a W30 but nearly. Beside that it´s bigger with more burntime. But as a Backup my choice would be a W30 among all I know off (if I had to BUY one of course ;-) )

Seems like you Germans are the only ones doing anything interesting with LEDs these days!

And more is comming. Watch out for new LED lights with the ostar emitter I mentioned. I think some weeks before the boot2008 fair here in germany there will be some news.
For example this one: Photon (german)

cheers,
MikeRD03

Jep, the Schulz GS35. You´re good informed - it´s quite new and it uses not the same led emitter like tilly´s W30 but it is up-to-date, too. From what I´ve heard it´s not so bright like a W30 but nearly. Beside that it´s bigger with more burntime. But as a Backup my choice would be a W30 among all I know off (if I had to BUY one of course ;-) )

Any idea how the Schulz GS35 compares to, say, the Photon Torpedo LED, or Scout LED? I'm wondering about brightness, focus, light output and burntime. Especially considering the prices are comparable. The Schulz seems to have a rear attachment point, although it's a little hard to be sure and it's not quite as convenient as the rear attachment of the others. Rated at 200m, it's certainly up there with the Photon Torpedo in terms of depth rating. It's about 1/4" longer, however.

The TillyTec light interests me, but the focus of the Green Force, according to the review of this post, is not nearly as good as the Photon Torpedo, so I don't know that the TillyTec would be good enough either.

hi compudude,

Any idea how the Schulz GS35 compares to, say, the Photon Torpedo LED, or Scout LED?

These led lights are not common in german so I don´t can compare them. But it´s easy - try to find out what kind of led is in there and when this is something with luxeon the lamp will be no match for the GS35 - regardless how good the optics ist.
If it´s older than 3/4 year - forget the light. The advancement with led was extremly high in the last year. You can say double output with same engery!
There are only 3 led in the world marktet that are worth buying at the moment and that ist the Cree XR-E, SSC P4 und Lumiled Rebel. Forget the rest if none of these emitters are in it.

considering the prices are comparable. The Schulz seems to have a rear attachment point, although it's a little hard to be sure and it's not quite as convenient as the rear

Schulz stands in german for well done craftmanship for a good price. Normaly buying one ist no mistake.

The TillyTec light interests me, but the focus of the Green Force, according to the review of this post, is not nearly as good as the Photon Torpedo, so I don't know that the TillyTec would be good enough either.

First of all you should lern one imported thing - Greenforce <> TillyTec. Only the connection system of both is compatible. So you can use his heads with an accu from greenforce.
Tilly´s lights have in germany the reputation of being very well focused, simple and rock solid. Personaly I know this new TRI-500 lighthead and I have to say you will not find anything brighter with 3 LEDs (10W) anywhere. He gives anybody who sends him a brighter head like his TRI-500 this head for nothing he says on his web page.

cheers,
MikeRD03

JT, not sure if this thread is still active or not...but here goes, I was gonna purchase the Solus/Oxycheq backup but scuba toys just advised that the price was increasing buy a wopping 100, from 200 to 300 wow so they have decided not to stock it. I note in your pictures you have the OMS Headlamp, can you give me some info on its performance, i.e as compared to the OMS Vega, would you reccomend it?
thanksin advance...(i Hope)....

JT, I note the surefire on the far right, I know its not a diving torch but am super interested in its output, listed as 500lumens on high for a huge 20mins run time...just how bright is it? it looks very sturdy..Im green with envy...you must be very rich thats one expensive flashlight...

JT, I note the surefire on the far right, I know its not a diving torch but am super interested in its output, listed as 500lumens on high for a huge 20mins run time...just how bright is it? it looks very sturdy..Im green with envy...you must be very rich thats one expensive flashlight...

I have also been looking to get the Solus but at $300 might be putting that on hold.

The OMS headlamp has the same in output as the Vega, which is very good as backups go. The switch on my headlamp is very hard to turn but I have used two others that are fine. In all the headlamp is a very good light but even with a good switch a bit hard to turn on in dry gloves.

The SureFire M6 is an awesome light that really puts out some light SureFire tends to under rate their light output. I at one time collected SureFire lights and had about 50 but then got into diving and sold many of them to fund this habit.

thanks for that JT, I read that the OMS headlamp had a narrower beam than the Vega, yes? no?
I too like the surefires pound for pound they have awesome output the humble MAG lights look pretty poor in comparison. Id love to get the M6 but its out of my range given I would hardly use it and 6 CR123As thats gotta add up but holy cow 500 lumens Id love to see one in action. The solus Im sure will either a) come down in price eventually or b) be superceded by a brighter longer run time in the next year or so, so maybe worth waiting a bit eh...nice chatting...good diving...cheers...

Mike, have you seen this light? I wonder how it compares to the TillyTec?

Tauchlampen24

Seems like you Germans are the only ones doing anything interesting with LEDs these days!

I am not a cave diver but for what it is worth, I make like 300 dives a year for fossils in near zero vis water. I was introduced to the Greenforce HID 50 in 2001 and loved it. It is an amazingly durable light and I probablly did 1000 dives on the hid 50. A few years ago a friend brought me the TillyTec 500 ( I think) LED lighthead. I love that light and have near 700-1000 dives on it. It is roughly as bright as the hid50 but with my large battery pack I get an amazing amount of time. I do not know how much since I charge it after running it 8 hours or so. But I put these through some serious abuse. (never rinse them, leave them in the car in extreme temperatures, drop them etc.) I just can not say enough about them. I forget to check the board so if you have any Questions e-mail me at bill@megateeth.com.

Back
Top Bottom