Backup hose length? 22" too short?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Im asking this question here as I believe DIR use a 22" backup hose so this is the best place to ask, sorry if im in the wrong place, I havent been on the board for long, Im just looking for info from those who know more than me...

anyway my question...

I have read some posts of people saying that they have found the 22" backup hose slightly too short and they cannot turn their heads properly to the left...do many of you find this to be the case or is it an isolated thing?

I ask as the standard primary hose I use for OW is way too long for me at 27" and pulls on my reg in anysort of current and I read that a 22" is easier, I live in Japan and have no access to a store to try it out and the price of dive equipment here is stupid expensive so I order from the US so need to make sure I order correct as returning gets expensive and time consuming, Ive tried to mock up but its a little hard to be sure out of water...anyway thanks in advance...

Many of us use a 24" on the back-up. Makes looking to the left possible.

I also use a 24".

Single or double tanks? What 1st stage? These all +/- inches.

Depending on the reg 22" is ok to good for single tanks.

For doubles you pretty much want a 24", esp. with Apeks regs. 22" can work on doubles with the Scubapro regs cause the bottom port gives you a bit extra reach.

What regs do you have and are you setting up doubles or singles?

Also, what backplate and what tanks diameter are you diving? A BP with a deep bend (like my FredT plate for single-tank) has a deep bend and will put the tank further away, thus needing a longer hose. A plate with a shallow bend, like a DSS, might need a shorter hose. An 8" tank, like an LP95 will put the reg further back than an Al80.

Hoses are relatively cheap, and if you're ordering from the US and shipping to Japan I'd probably order both a 22" and 24" and decide which you like better. You can always keep the other one in your spare parts bin or resell it to a buddy locally. Check out TDL for great prices on hoses.

TECHDIVINGLIMITED.COM

I didnt realise there were so many variables, I only dive OW so singles, big steels, I use a transpac harness, regs Aqualung Micra Adj...Im pretty short 5'6" and about 130lbs saoking wet ha ha...

Also, what backplate and what tanks diameter are you diving?

The alignment of the planets matters, too. Venus is in retrograde with the new moon directly overhead, so you'll want both hoses. :mooner:

I didnt realise there were so many variables, I only dive OW so singles, big steels, I use a transpac harness, regs Aqualung Micra Adj...Im pretty short 5'6" and about 130lbs saoking wet ha ha...

You're best idea was below... Considering the shipping hassles, just get both and keep the less than optimal one as a spare or sell it.

I use a 22" on both singles and doubles. My doubles regs are Apeks DS4/ATX50 and I'm using them on both 80's and 130's no problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom