• Ikelite Mini-C

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • UK SL4

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Princeton Tec 400

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katz

Reaction score
I'm looking for a backup/daytime light for rec diving which will fit nicely in BC pocket. It seems that most powerful from the above is Princeton Tec Surge which is similar in size to Ikelite PC and UK SL4. Another good choice seems to be Ikelite PCa, but it's burntime is only 2 hours, compared to 3-5 hours of Surge.
What about Ikelite Mini-C and Princeton Tec 400 lights, do they fit comfortable in a BC pocket or their reflector is too big and feels uncofortable in a pocket?

I use the Inova X5. It's not designed as a dive light but it works great. It runs around $35.00. Check one out at productwizard.com

The Mini-C is a good general light but whether it s too large to fit in a pocket depends entirely on the size of the pocket.

It seems most BC's seem to have D-rings now and it works well to just use a bolt snap to attach the light Mini-C, UK 300, Pelican Saberlite etc) to a D-ring and then use a loop of bungee or surgical tubing to hold the head against bottom section of the BC strap. it's streamlined and does not dangel, is easy to access and won't get away from you as it can be used with the light still clipped to the D-ring.

My preference for a day/backup light is a UK300 carried in this manner. Great light, low cost (under $30), and easy to maintain with good burn time on 3 C cells.

consider UK's Mini Q 40. pretty bright for something so small.

princeton tec lights are not so reliable. i have seen several flood. could be because the o-ring is a little too small.

Ditto on the UK Mini Q40. I have one and I think it is as bright as my UK D4, albeit more focused.

5/5 stars here!

I use the MAL-Lighting µHLD1 which is definitively the brightest backup torch available! :wink:
Before I used UKSL6, B.Miller and Scout Lights. These lights are poor alternatives compared to my µHLD1 lights.:spank:
Seems like the Germans not only build great cars!
Abyzz

Trigger:
I use the Inova X5. It's not designed as a dive light but it works great. It runs around $35.00. Check one out at productwizard.com

Trigger,
Thanks for pointing me there!!!! I have been looking for an underwater UV light for a long time!!! that is great!

For those that don't know coral and many other animals, are lumincent under black light.

CR

The Inova looks great, but runs on CR123's. Is there a rechargeable version of that batter? I know the lithium's aren't, and at ~$3 a pop, it gets expensive if you use it alot. Trigger - how many dives/hours do you get per battery?

And I have a bunch of them.

They will take a fair amount of abuse and are cheap to replace when you drop a stand of sheet pile on one. :54:

I also like my SL-4.

If I need more light than that I am likely to go to a canister light or surface supplied flood lights.

I also love the Q-40. Very bright little sucker. Little more burn time than the C8 (4-5 hours verses 4-4.5hrs). It's so bright that I worry about using it for extended periods out of the water. SL4 is preferred over the Q-40, but is pretty big for a smallish BCD pocket.

Back
Top Bottom