Backup 2nd Stage - Identical to Primary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiegoDiver

Registered
Reaction score
I currently dive with the Atomic M1. I'm looking to purchase a necklaced backup reg of the same quality as the M1.

I read somewhere else that you probably don't want to use a different company's 2nd stage. Different intermediate pressure, and other compatibility issues, etc.

Any opinions about having the backup be identical to the primary reg? I was thinking about getting a 2nd M1 second stage. It has the thermal heat sink for cold water diving that is an added benefit. If I'm ever in some serious cold water and need to hand off my primary for an OOA situation, I want to be able to rely on the backup. The only concern I have is the really wide exhaust deflector on the M1. Great for primary use, but does anyone think that will be annonying as a necklaced backup?

Thanks

DiegoDiver:
Great for primary use, but does anyone think that will be annonying as a necklaced backup?

I don't know how that reg compares to an apeks TX40, but I've used one of those as a necklaced backup reg and it has a wider exhaust tee as well. Didn't bug me at all, but YMMV.

I dive with a atx200 primary and atx200 backup. This is one area I will not skimp on.

Col439:
I dive with a atx200 primary and atx200 backup. This is one area I will not skimp on.

ATX50, ATX100 and ATX200 second stages are identical (apart from cosmetic front cover/purge button and the chrome-like finish on the ATX50 metal parts).

I have a TX40 as my bungeed backup, it works OK with the TX50 primary. The exhaust port is fairly pliable so it doesn't dig into my collarbone, etc. If I were to do it all over again, I'd have an ATX for the bungeed backup, or maybe one of the new XTX with swap-able exhaust ports.

IIRC, not only can you add a wider M1-type exhaust port onto a B2, but I think you can also do the reverse? Then again, check me on that as I'm no expert on Atomic regs.

I have a TX50 on my long hose. I like it because of the wider exhaust tee. I have the ATX50 on the bungee backup. It has a small profile and just feels more comfortable under the chin.

DJ

Dive rite 2010 , good breather , usefull predive switch and should work fine in cold water.

I mix 'em up a bit ... singles reg uses an ATX100 first stage, an S600 primary and S550 secondary. Doubles regs use DS4 first stages, an ATX200 primary and a TX50 secondary.

All great performing pieces of gear ... although I think I'm gonna get another S600 for the doubles.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have always thought it was a good idea to have an extremely reliable backup. The Scubapro S600 is what I use as a primary because it is high performance, delivers alot of gas, and has a degree of adjustability.

I use the R390 as a backup because it also delivers but seems to be less fragile than the S600.

That is just one example of why you may want a bit of variation. I am pretty sure that most companies have similar models that you could mix and match for your needs.

-V

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom