Backscatter is shipping the new flip up filter!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine has arrived, and is installed on my dive housing. Cute, can't wait to try it out in September. Disappointed there isn't a "lens cap" for it. Will have to find something that will work.

Yeah, that is kind of lame they wouldn't include a cap for it. Even a soft cover just to keep it from being scratched.

Quick question: By not having a LCD screen on the GoPro I won't be able to see if the filter is turning everything red on shallow depths.

Would it be an appropriate method to check that by flipping up the filter and looking through it with my bare eyes?

Got my flip filter today and was also curious as to why they dont have a cap for it.
Oh well, i'll just use an old crown royal bag or figure something out.
Looks like a good quality piece though.
Gonna try and get it wet in the next week to test.

time will tell how well that hinge point holds up to overbending, and to colors that shade of filter will produce.

I'll liking my Backscatter housing, with 55 mm thread, and a Fantasea screw on blue water filter for no bubles behind the filter glass and rock solid construction for the same price........

I've chosen to make mine finger tight for now, no using that bent section of the hex key at all.

Don't want to hit a thermal and suddenly have the aluminum shrink and compression crack the lens frame. It's nice and all that it's aluminum, and I'm sure its easier to manufacture at this time, but some type of polymer would be better for temp differences.

Found one of these in a box. It fits well enough to add some protection on a boat and for travelling. Probably won't stay on in the water, it's a little loose. But it's better than nothing.

Op/Tech Hood Hat Small (3.5in Dia +/- .25in) Black 8001112

OTHHSBK.jpg

edit: actually, I'm not sure if mine is the small or the mini. I'll measure it tonight when I get home. Also available at B&H Lens Hood Accessories | B&H Photo Video

Has anyone considered putting a sheet of Zagg Invisishield, or equal on the Filter itself to protect it? Also, on the back of the dive housing to protect it from scratches?

I use a Op/Tech drawstring bag for some of my lenses......the snoot boot.....would be perfect for a go pro, or one of Op/Techs square bags.

The Snoot Boot is made from a Great neoprene material with a draw string closure, the square one looks more nylon, both are MADE IN THE USA.

OP/TECH USA Snoot Boot

OP/TECH USA Hipster Pouch

So far I've simply stuck the whole housing into one of those plastic (vs paper) bubble wrap mailers.

Last edited:
Has anyone considered putting a sheet of Zagg Invisishield, or equal on the Filter itself to protect it? Also, on the back of the dive housing to protect it from scratches?
I put some screen protector on the back of LCD back door so it wont get scratched up. Keep the view of the LCD nice and clean looking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom