Backplates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PoPo Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,

Im looking at getting into a backplate/wing set up. Does anyone have any good pros/cons to them? I’m looking at one of the Hollis HOG setups.. any users on here? Thanks all!

I generally just don't like Hollis, but they're all about the same. This forum, myself included tends to be bigger fans of Deep Sea Supply. Made in USA, reasonably priced, great customer service from @cool_hardware52 etc, and true top quality.

Compared to Hollis which is made in China, very expensive, and horrible customer service....

DSS is flatter, DGX and I hear Deep6 are nearly as flat(ish) which makes them more comfortable for single tank diving, the freedom plate is winning me over. If you are exceptionally tall or short both DSS and Freedom make sizes that will work for you, if you are “standard” size find the cheapest one you can.

Last edited:
the hollis plates and wings are ok, but basically just mediocre to average. the wings aren't as well designed as they could be, and thus a poorer value. the plates are reasonably well finished although the black anodized aluminum one catches scratches. just overall not a competitive value because the prices aren't low and the quality isn't high. similar issue as the scubapro xtek line.

DGX has a complete set, Al plate + 25lbs wing etc etc, for US$299.00. Return it if you don't like it!
But I have no problem with mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom