Backplates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwollard

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am new to this board and like what I see here. I have been diving for 6yrs and am looking into upgrading my skills and equipment. I will be diving single alum.80 in rec limits most of the time, but would like to get into some tech diving in the future. After much research,I have decided on b/p and wings as I like the DIR style and would like to follow that diving system. With that in mind I have some questions to ask b/p divers out there.
Is there some place to buy the webbing by the foot rather than a harness from Halcyon, EE or Dive Rite for $45 (this seems high)? If so, how much webbing does it take for 6ft 190lb person using a 6 mil. wet suit? What are the size of d-rings and what are the keepers called that hold them? Best place to get them?
I am also looking at getting the new Halcyon 27lb pioneer wing with the built in STA and will decide on a wing for doubles after training. I was told that the new Halcyon wing won't fit other plates or their older plates as the built in STA bolts up different. Is this correct? I can't imagine them building somthing that won't fit even their own plates of last year.
Sorry this is so long, lots of questions not very many answers.

We have an Army Surplus store near here that has all kinds of webbing by the foot, D-rings, all those things. But actually $45 doesn't sound to high by the time you figure in all the little parts and fasteners.

Tom

Lloyd Baileys, $0.95/foot; 12 to 13 feet is typical.
You can also get the webbing at Rockywoods fabric on the web (I don't have the URL handy).

I don't know about the new wings from Halcyon, I personally would try to find an old style wing (36 lb if cold water)and get a weighted STA from Scott Koplin at Hood Sport N' Dive.

Lloyd Baileys
http://www.lloydbaileysscuba.com/

Hood Sport N' Dive
http://www.hctc.com/~hsd/scuba.htm

Brad

Tom:

I figured that I could get the 3 d-rings and the 3 keepers for about $2 apiece, buckel $5 and 6ft of webbing for $1.5/ft. This totals $26. Does this sound about right? Am I leaving anything out? Remember, I am new with all of this. I don't want to sound like I know what I am talking about. It is just an idea I wanted to look at and looking for help.

greetings to you bwollard

you should be able to mix and match wings/plates/STA from various manufacturers with no problems: i use 3 different wings with an OMS plate and STA: 1 of unknown origin, 1 AUL, 1 Halcyon.

for the harness purchase about 20 feet of 2" webbing. thinner than that will slide around too much in the slots and 'cut' you under a load. wider will likely not fit the slots. you can purchase webbing at your dive shop or, possibly, a luggage repair shop. 20 feet might seem like
too much but you need to give yourself plenty to play with for this first attempt and you'll need to create a 'crotch
strap and that will take some webbing.

'keepers' are called just that: "keepers". get 2" and get
STAINLESS STEEL. do not get plastic: it breaks. Do not get plated zinc: it corrodes. you'll need a minimum of 5 and
possibly more, depending on how you rig your harness and
crotch strap. they are cheap so get 10 or 12. get them at your local shop.

you will need 2" d-rings. again, STAINLESS STEEL. you can
get either "d-shaped" or "v-shaped" or 'billy-rings'. It is
up to you. I use "d-rings". "billy-rings" are way-cool
but cost a bit of $$$ so i bought some pre-bent d-rings.

you'll need at least 5 of them. 3 for the harness, 2 for the
crotch strap. more if you want more. again, they are relatively cheap so buy several.

go to a bike shop and buy a ratty old 2" inner tube
to cut up for holding your backup lights etc on the harness. place the loops on the harness as you thread it or you'll need to unthread it to place them: very inconvenient.

be prepared to spend some time setting the harness up and
testing it in a pool then making adjustments before you make final cuts in harness length etc. DO NOT RUSH THE JOB.
i cannot address the assertion that a new Halcyon will not fit an older plate. I'd check their web-site, http://www.halcyon.net and give them a call or email.

if you have any difficulty obtaining any items or have any
further questions, email me.

dive safe.

G_M

ps. when you get the harness adjusted, if you ever need to
unthread it, use bits of duct-tape on the webbing to indicate where you placed keepers etc.

You local dive shop, if there are technical divers in the area, may carry them. Like the shop I deal with, you may have to ask for them, as they may be not be on display.. The army surplus idea is a great one, as is visiting a nearby climbing/mountaineering store. Originally, I bought my harness from diverite, and looking back, I could have easily rigged it from supplies at my diveshop for less than I paid. At the time, though, it was just easier to buy the harness. Now I would definitely make my own. Just my opinion.

G_M is right though...make sure the hardware is stainless...it will save you headaches latter on.

G.M.

Thanks for the info. Few more questions. Lloyd Bailey's has what they call Stainless Steel Belt Slides. Is this the same as the keepers? Would you use serrated or non?
Looks like Tom is right. Buy the time I buy all of the stuff, I could buy the whole setup from Dive Rite for $45 and be in about the same place.

i suppose that "slides" = "keepers" but everyone i know
calls them keepers because that is what they do: "keep".
they do not "slide" ;-)

serrated or not is a matter of personal preference. if they
are correctly sized and the webbing is sufficiently thick
they will 'keep' regardless of whether they 'bite' into the
webbing.

one thing i should have mentioned: the webbing need not be
super-aggressive. indeed, if it is too stiff it will chafe
the suit and most importantly chafe the inside of your thighs as you walk with a crotch strap. do not, on the other
hand get webbing that is wimpy or it will flop all over the
place and the 'keepers' WILL 'slide'.

one of the BEE-YOU-TEE-FULl things about a backplate is that once you've set it up and all is placed to your satisfaction (DIR or otherwise) IT DOES NOT MOVE AND NEEDS NO PRE-DIVE ADJUSTMENTS.

as others have pointed out you can buy the plate rigged etc
for (almost) the $$$ to build it yourself, factoring in your
time, but would that be as much fun?

I suspect if you are like most of us, that plate/harness
will become somewhat of a 'picture' of you and it is a
great feeling to know that YOU did it and that YOU can un-
do it if necessary.

Lastly: avoid the school of hard-knocks. IF you need to
adjust the harness or putz with it in any manner, DO NOT DO
SO THE NIGHT (OR JUST) PRIOR TO A DIVE.

G_M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/