Backplate/wings Fit Questions.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Windknot

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok.....Here we go....you all offered to help so here's what I got and here's what I need to know.

(1) 36# Halcyon Pioneer Wing
(1) Halcyon Harness and hardware
(1) FredT SS Backplate
(1) FredT two piece STA

What I know:
1. Love the way it fits so far and I know I dont have it exactly right.
2. If you buy mail order....your SOL for help rigging and fitting you kit. Halcyon DOES NOT include an owners manual (at least I didnt get one)

What I dont know:

1. How far up or down on my back/where on my back should my backplate rest. There are all kinds of pictures of people standing facing in front of the camera...but I haven't seen any from the side? Is it just a personal comfort thing? I found a position that feels pretty comfortable (without tank) on while fitting the straps. Is that what I should be going for? (God that sounded stupid...but I'll leave it as is...)

2. Where it optimal placement for shoulder strap D-rings. I currently have them about mid chest...right where the strap starts to cross to the side of my chest near my arm pit. SHould it be up higher? (I guess that all depends on what I hook on it doesn't it?) Two stupid questions that I think I answered for myself.

3. How do you all rig your inflator hose in the bungee on the left shoulder ring...It seems at first glance to be difficult to unhook and get to in a hurry...even bare handed....it would be much harder with gloves or mitts on?

Thanks in advance for all of the help you have all offered thus far.

Windknot

I'll take a crack at it.

The slack in the shoulder straps will kinda dictate the placement of the BP, right? The shoulder straps should allow about 2-3 finger widths between your chest and the strap with a wetsuit. Just stand up and bend 90 degrees at your waist with the plate on and check how many fingers you can get between the strap and your chest. This works for me, but I have about four fingers for a drysuit. The straps should be just loose enough so you can get in and out comfortably.

I keep my D-rings kinda centered between my armpit and the top of my shoulder -- right in there someplace.

The inflator goes through the bungie that's on the left D ring. It goes all the way up well into the ribs of the hose. There's no reason to remove it -- just lift it up to deflate.

Does that help at all? Just look at the pics on GUE and WKPP's websites.

Mike

They've added some new pics at WKPP. Here ya go:

http://www.wkpp.org/articles/Gear/equipmentimages.htm

LY,

That is perfect. Admittedly I tried to stay away from WKPP's web site for two reasons. One, no one had ever mentioned them as having an extensive photo library on gear, I assumed that they were more focused on the cave systems and thier project there. And the second reason that I tried to stay away from WKPP was that I was afraid after boning up on WKPP and caves that I would start obsessing about new goals in diving, instead of focusing on my current ones....getting safe, getting deep (here in Michigan) and doing the wrecks that we have here.

And...by the way....my kit fits like a glove...with a little room. I have it all put together and am going down to my LDS and pick up some tank straps....(I knew I was going to forget SOMETHING) today when I pick up my tanks I just had VIP'd. I am VERY interested in seeing thier reaction to my kit when I whip it out of my bag :D

And dont worry, I wont push it on them.....just show it off a little...maybe I can educate THEM for a change....

Hi! one question do you retighten when you get in the water?
I feels like it hangs down a little standing up!

Thanks Rick L

Windknot,

Where are you in Michigan? We'll have to get together this summer and do some wrecks.

Rick,

No you don't retighted anything underwater. In fact, there should be weight retainers on the back side of the plate that prevents the waist strap for moving once adjusted. I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by "it hangs down a little standing up". Can you describe it a bit? What hangs down?

Take care.

Mike

Saginaw to be exact.....we'll have to meet at the bridge...about half way for both eh?

Get it???? EH?

Sorry....LMAO.

Some of my best and blurred memories are from Marquette. Holiday Inn Bar to be exact...when I was working as a paramedic we'd go up there for a conference every fall and just tear that place up.

Oh to be young and rich again......<sigh>

Definitely need to do a meet once the snow goes away....the way its going, probably going to be gone by the end of next week down here.

Windknot

There's a good chance we'll be moving somewhere down state (north of Tawas, Gaylord, or Traverse City) in the Spring. I'll be diving a lot in the Straits and Whitefish this summer.

I'll keep in touch.

Mike

As I was rigging my harness, it seemed that as the shoulder straps came out of the top of the backplate, the angle of the straps seemed to want the two sides to cross over one another. None of the pictures of kits I ever saw looked like that so I just kind of pulled them to the lateral and continued threading the webbing. Then I saw this photo:

Does anyone cross thier shoulder straps when they come off the top of the backplate?

My DiveRite harness does cross in the back like the pic you have, So i would say yes it is supposed to. Mine came with the webbing already done, i would think its the standard harness configuration. i would be interested to know if anyone dives the harness without the webbing crossing in the back.

TMD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom