Backplate/wing: set-up questions concerning buckle and weights.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roger Hobden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Consider the standard recommended minimalist bp/w configuration with stainless steel plate and single webbing with 3 D-rings and a crotch-strap with 2 more D-rings, and a donut-shaped wing.

When using a backplate/wing, is it better to have the buckle on left or right side of crotch-strap, and why ?
Or is it simply a matter of personal preference ?

Concerning the discardable weights, is it better to have a "horizontal" pouch with the long axis following the webbing of the belt at the waist, a "vertical" pouch, with the long axis perpendicular to the belt, or a "square" pouch ?
The inconvenience of the horizontal pouch would be that you would probably have no space left on the belt to attach a canister, but I have no plans of buying a canister light in the short or medium term anyway.

Another question: do divers who use backplates sometimes attach supplementary trim weights elsewhere then on their belt, or is that a clear sign of an unbalanced rig in the first place ?

EDIT: Just to make it super-clear: Absolutely no weight belt involved. All weights to be attached to the BP/W itself.

assuming you are right handed, crotch strap to the right without the buckle passed through the crotch strap loop means you can undo the harness faster/easier.

assuming you are right handed, crotch strap to the right without the buckle passed through the crotch strap loop means you can undo the harness faster/easier.

Hmm ... I am slightly confused here. The crotch strap should be exactly aligned with the midline of my body, correct ?

So, should the buckle be towards my right side, or towards my left side ?

When using a backplate/wing, is it better to have the buckle on left or right side of crotch-strap, and why ?
Or is it simply a matter of personal preference ?
Right hand, weights.
Left hand, waist strap.

Don't sweat it. A real rescue is hot and fast. Buckle could be on either side.
...//... Concerning the discardable weights, is it better to have a "horizontal" pouch with the long axis following the webbing of the belt at the waist, a "vertical" pouch, with the long axis perpendicular to the belt, or a "square" pouch ?

Rescuers look for your W/B tail. One yank drops it. If it doesn't then your config is crap. Make it easy on them.

I don't use a weight belt....Buckle left of center axis, crotch strap on center axis, pulll paddle (tail - short) open with right....

(Left hand for inflation efforts)

YMMV

I have the BP/W buckle "left hand open" in contrast to weight belt buckle that is "right hand open" .
I Prefer to have my BP/W buckle to the right of center, then i don't have to thread the buckle trough the crouch strap. I know others recommend to thread the buckle trough the crouch strap.

I usualy put other stuff in my pockets (small OMS square weight pockets), and if i need weights i put them on a belt.

I don't use a weight belt....

Just to make it super-clear about the initial questions of this thread: Absolutely no weight belt involved. All weights to be attached to the BP/W itself.

Which is what I do... Others keep mentioning a weight belt....

I have (depending on the rig and exposure requirements) the XS Scuba weight pockets on the waist belt....

Which is what I do... Others keep mentioning a weight belt....
Great ! Glad we agree.
I have (depending on the rig and exposure requirements) the XS Scuba weight pockets on the waist belt....
I looked them up on the internet. They seem to have a "square" configuration, which would possibly leave more place to add equipment/tools on the BP/W waist belt, so probably a desirable feature.

Hmm ... I am slightly confused here. The crotch strap should be exactly aligned with the midline of my body, correct ?

So, should the buckle be towards my right side, or towards my left side ?

crotch strap to the right of the buckle, buckle is on left side of waist

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom