Backplate question (express tech + stainless or aluminum)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cds1785

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I’ve acquired more rigs then needed (at least that’s what my wife tells me) and I need some opions on what to keep.

Little background, most of my dives have been warm fresh water although I do live on the coast so the potential of an ocean dive is there. Last trip to Ginnie I needed an additional 4-6lb (can’t recall offhand would need to check log) with an aluminum plate, AL 80 and 3mm suite. Last ocean dive in Grand Turks I needed something like 14lb with their jacket rental. Over time I’ve come to acquire a couple different rigs. I’ve got a stainless, aluminum and an express tech. Wings include a 44, 32 and 34.

I initially got the aluminum plate as a spare/travel wing but stumbled upon a good deal on the express tech so that can fill any future travel/ spare/ loaner gear. My dilemma comes in deciding which of the other two plates to keep. I’m leaning toward the stainless as I don’t foresee doubles in my near future and I like the additional weight on the plate vs belt/pockets. The only thing I keep coming back to with the aluminum plate is that I can add a sta, and ss cam bands and essentially be about equal to the stainless. The only caveat is the stainless is a Zeagle plate and if I did decide to go aluminum I’d definitely want to purchase a Zeagle aluminum as it will easily allow me to continue to use my ranger wing and either the hog wing or the other Zeagle wing. If I go a different brand I’ve got to deal with the connector straps which is a bit of a pain in my opinion.

Bottom line is I really don’t need 3 Bp/w setups so any opinions/input on which to keep to help validate my thought would be appreciated. If I had my way I’d probably just keep them all but the wife is semi right as I don’t need 3.

*as a side note I have used an express tech in the past, it was actually my first bp style bc and although I do like the metal plates a little better I have no problem or complaints about the express tech. As I said I really only got it as a travel rig (travel dive will probably be far and few between).

I've not used the Ranger wing but if it fits onto the metal backplate that sounds good to me. I wish Zeagle made a SS plate that the Express Tech wing would easily fit onto.

So I’m waiting the arrival of the express tech but if I’m not mistaken it uses the triglide style attachment like the ranger wing (at least the old one I had did). The Zeagle plates have attachment points and the wing attaches via a bolt kit they offer. I’ve used the Zeagle style wings on other brand plates but you have to use one of their attachement straps (I’ll get a picture of one later), thread it through the cam band slots and then attach the wing. I much rather prefer using a Zeagle plate and the bolt kit.

So I’ve acquired more rigs then needed (at least that’s what my wife tells me) and I need some opions on what to keep.

Little background, most of my dives have been warm fresh water although I do live on the coast so the potential of an ocean dive is there. Last trip to Ginnie I needed an additional 4-6lb (can’t recall offhand would need to check log) with an aluminum plate, AL 80 and 3mm suite. Last ocean dive in Grand Turks I needed something like 14lb with their jacket rental. Over time I’ve come to acquire a couple different rigs. I’ve got a stainless, aluminum and an express tech. Wings include a 44, 32 and 34.

I initially got the aluminum plate as a spare/travel wing but stumbled upon a good deal on the express tech so that can fill any future travel/ spare/ loaner gear. My dilemma comes in deciding which of the other two plates to keep. I’m leaning toward the stainless as I don’t foresee doubles in my near future and I like the additional weight on the plate vs belt/pockets. The only thing I keep coming back to with the aluminum plate is that I can add a sta, and ss cam bands and essentially be about equal to the stainless. The only caveat is the stainless is a Zeagle plate and if I did decide to go aluminum I’d definitely want to purchase a Zeagle aluminum as it will easily allow me to continue to use my ranger wing and either the hog wing or the other Zeagle wing. If I go a different brand I’ve got to deal with the connector straps which is a bit of a pain in my opinion.

Bottom line is I really don’t need 3 Bp/w setups so any opinions/input on which to keep to help validate my thought would be appreciated. If I had my way I’d probably just keep them all but the wife is semi right as I don’t need 3.

*as a side note I have used an express tech in the past, it was actually my first bp style bc and although I do like the metal plates a little better I have no problem or complaints about the express tech. As I said I really only got it as a travel rig (travel dive will probably be far and few between).

What is the short version?

What is the short version?

Guess that’s one way to get the post count up.... I can save ya the 5 paragraph read though; I was simply looking for input on what to keep, ET and stainless or ET and aluminum. The details of probable diving are contained in the post.

So I’m waiting the arrival of the express tech but if I’m not mistaken it uses the triglide style attachment like the ranger wing (at least the old one I had did). The Zeagle plates have attachment points and the wing attaches via a bolt kit they offer. I’ve used the Zeagle style wings on other brand plates but you have to use one of their attachement straps (I’ll get a picture of one later), thread it through the cam band slots and then attach the wing. I much rather prefer using a Zeagle plate and the bolt kit.

Well that just shows my ignorance. I was looking at Zeagle backplates and comparing them to the Express Tech wing and it didn't look like it would be a simple matter to attach it. Funny that they didn't offer the triglide and bolt kits as an optional accessory or make some kind of note of it.

Well that just shows my ignorance. I was looking at Zeagle backplates and comparing them to the Express Tech wing and it didn't look like it would be a simple matter to attach it. Funny that they didn't offer the triglide and bolt kits as an optional accessory or make some kind of note of it.

So since I can’t describe it well I just attached the photos.

I believe, but can not 100% remember that the ET bladder has the triglide attachments that use the webbing piece above. If attaching to a bp you can reuse the webbing piece above and thread it through the cam slots and then attach the wing or if a Zeagle bp the bolt kit will work (I’m sure you could source the bolts and nuts yourself).

Attachments

• 2B5970B6-D77D-4087-B1D0-74D8A4B3ED15.jpeg
    2B5970B6-D77D-4087-B1D0-74D8A4B3ED15.jpeg
    10 KB · Views: 55
  • 7BAB3E81-6F98-4112-A53A-F097BEC8CE57.jpeg
    7BAB3E81-6F98-4112-A53A-F097BEC8CE57.jpeg
    20.6 KB · Views: 53
My Express Tech has the triglides on the wing and is held on to the backplate with the cam straps.

My wife's ET also has the triglides - 1 set on the top and 2 on the bottom that will accomodate backplate slots 7 inches on center or 9 inches on center. I don't see anything on the wing that would allow attachment to a plate via a bolt kit.

My wife's ET also has the triglides - 1 set on the top and 2 on the bottom that will accomodate backplate slots 7 inches on center or 9 inches on center. I don't see anything on the wing that would allow attachment to a plate via a bolt kit.

You can attach to non Zeagle wing as others have said with the cam band or the above noted webbing piece. A Zeagle backplate also has a few sets of holes which allow bolting the wing to the plate. I’ve attached the video that shows how the bolt kit attaches.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom