Backplate question, excessive webbing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually thread the buckle first, then thread the webbing through the plate from there. That way I only have one end to trim later and it's easy to adjust. I cut my first one too short and after getting everything on I had two inches to grab and try to feed through the buckle. I replaced the webbing and now leave about eight inches extra that I stuff under bicycle tubing on the waist.

My webbing has a grommet (?) in the middle of it so that way wouldn't work too well, will have to cut away a little bit of each end unless I magically gain 15 kilos during christmas... :D

Cut it after a dive or two. Simply tuck the excess in the interim.
I can live with enough excess that it reaches all the way back to the plate, but after that there's still a good 25-30cm left now which gets real awkward to tuck away as it collides with the webbing on the plate.
I'll live with it for a dive or two so I can get a feel for how much (or little) I need to cut away, ideally I don't want to cut away a millimeter more than I absolutely have to.
Better to have some extra left (christmas is upon us after all, and with it lots of unhealthy eating :D) in case I need to remove more in the future.

Again, thanks a lot for quick and excellent input, it's much appreciated! :thumb:

If you have a climbing store near by, they usually have a hot cutter for the webbing they sell.

when you decide to cut ,,,,,,, cut one and leave the other. if yo find it is too short you can slide the belt around a bit to use some of the excess on the side yo did not cut.

Cut it after a dive or two. Simply tuck the excess in the interim.
I second that although I would suggest more than a couple of dives.

Make sure as well that you cut it to fit your thickest suit (with a bit of play in it - normally a fist between the harness and your chest is a good guide).

Meantime fit a snoopy loop (a rubber band fitted on the harness) which will stop the loose end flapping about (you should only have one that can flap as the other end should be on the inside of the buckle). I make my loops from bicycle inner tubes - one tube will give you all the loops you ever need with a ton to spare.

Don't heat a good knife in a flame, You'll ruin it.
I just run the cut webbing edge through the gas burner on my stove.

Again, thanks a lot for the responses, this forum is amazing.
I won't cut anything without thorough and rigorous testing before, not that a new piece of webbing is expensive but I've already exceeded my budget for getting back into this by a long bit and I seem to have lost my dive computer somewhere between home and my LDS so it's going to get stretched even further most likely.
@Neilwood I already have a sufficient amount of snoopy loops (didn't know they were called that, cheers) on my webbing, I got the bike tubing before I got anything else in my setup to be honest.
@scrane I got a useless old knife that would fit the purpose, but I think I'll go with a lighter and some pliers with a very long "nose" if that makes sense.
Again, thanks so much for the response to this thread!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom