Backplate Polishing Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobPNW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I ordered another BP and without getting into brand or model, it came with sharp edges and tarnished. My first priority is returning the thing but with shipping it may not be worth it.

With that said, can anyone give recommendations for someone without a machine shop and grinding tools for smoothing out the edges and basic polishing? I'm not opposed to sitting in a chair in front of the TV for a couple hours working on it with my hands if I have too.

Is there any hope for me? 🙂

If just for sharp edges, just go to harbor freight, get the fine diamond costed file, file down the sharp places in holes and slots. Then use maybe 400 sand paper on the plate edge. takes 10-15 minute. You won't get Halcyon or Freedom plate kind of jewelary finish, but good enough for not causing cut or blur on webbing.

What material is it? If you have a dremel then you can go at it with a light sanding drum.

Stainless is soft, but not as soft as Alu.

Personally I'd go at it with a round file, maybe a half round on the bigger edges.
I always end up scratching stuff with the Dremel. If you just need to smooth out the edges a good file is plenty.

You obviously have zero experience with stainless steel but decided to share anyway

Stainless is soft, but not as soft as Alu.

I would go at it with a wire wheel since it's stainless. That can smooth the burrs and take off the tarnish.

You obviously have zero experience with stainless steel but decided to share anyway
😂
Oh I'm sorry? Did they start using 440C for backplates?
Did China change the generally accepted composition of 304 and made it something that doesn't machine like the devils toffee?

Guess I'll have to quit my day job now!

20 mins with a couple of files remains my advice.

Small rat tail file and some fine grit emery cloth. That will take care of the sharp edges.

Now for polishing it up, without power tools... Hit up your local auto paint supply shop. They will have various compounds that you can use. Ranging from a cheap one and done that might take the tarnish off all the way to starting with sandpaper and work your way through a half dozen different levels of compounds. All for something that will never matter to anyone except you. Maybe a season of a really shiny plate, but it won't stay that way without regular maintenance cleanings.

When I did this:

start-jpg.751741
onmill-jpg.751742

finished-jpg.751743

I filed first with a med-fine set of files to take the big stuff off.
Then I went at it with progressively coarser [EDIT Doohhhh] higher/finer grades of this:

Abrasive Tape and Abrasive Cord

I also wire brushed it with a SS wire wheel.

One other tip: Be absolutely sure that files are completely clean of any other metal, wire-wheels are SS and have NEVER been used on anything but stainless, & virginity for any abrasive products and applicators. Otherwise you risk embedding contaminants into the SS plate which WILL corrode (rust). I have another plate which unfortunately suffered as a result of grabbing the wrong tool. (Sorry, Eric :( )

Back
Top Bottom