Backplate cam band slots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CephBirk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just purchased an OMS backplate from someone off Craigslist and discovered upon getting home that there are no vertical slots for cam bands. I had never seen a backplate without these before so I didn't think to look. This is a problem since (at least for now) I'm exclusively diving single-tank and would prefer not to use an STA.

Fortunately, I have access to a machine shop and some friends who can cut these slots for me. I just need to know the dimensions. How large should the slots be and how far apart and where vertically on the backplate? Is this a standard thing? I'm planning on buying OMS wings if that's important.

Thanks all!

Older plates from about 15 years ago did not have slots cut in the plate. There were very few singles wings at the time and it was assumed that you were going to use a STA. There is no standard as to wing slot spacing but looking at an OMS wing the lower slots are extra long so most plates would work. I don't have a plate to measure but this link may help.

I'd buy the wing(s) first, then cut the slots to match.

I would just bolt an STA on it and dive. I found the STA to be a plus when changing tanks, lay it down in the bed of my truck, loosen cam bands and slide empty out and fresh in like it's on rails (which it is) loved the thing until I started diving the Argonaut Kraken where getting the reg closer to my back made it breath better.

I'd buy the wing(s) first, then cut the slots to match.

This. There is variation among manufacturers. I have had to lengthen the slots on one backplate.

The slots have to accommodate 2" webbing, and are typically around 3/16". The dimensions aren't critical.

Thanks ams511, this link is great!

Back in the day, people used to build their own backplates. The were a few people on SB that used to custom build them for others like Fred T. and Hammerhead. Now you can buy just about any style of backplate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom