backplate and wing size for diving in the tropics?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

u5agi

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'm thinking of switching to a BP/Wing setup for my diving. For cold-water diving, I'm thinking of going with an ALU BP and 30lb wing for single-tank diving.

Any thoughts on what would work for warm-water single-tank? I'm concerned that the 30lb may be a bit too big?

For cold water diving, you definitely should consider a SS B/P. You'll be happy to move 6# to your back. You should also consider getting a weighted STA and move up another 5-6#.

For warm water, unless you dive with zero insulation, the SS B/P will probably work as well.

As far as the size of the wing goes, you have to compute the buoyancy of your rig and of your body. 30# should likely work for cold. You might not need that much lift for warm water, but that's probably still acceptable.

It may be a little bit much, depending on your weight config, but it won't be grossly out-of-scope. Halcyon makes an 18lb wing, and I think somebody else makes something similar, but I can't recall who (anyone? Bueller?)

Think about the commercial BCs too. Lots of people, and lots of them are GOOD divers, use commercial BCs in the tropics that have 30 or more lbs. of lift.

Oxycheq makes an 18# wing, and it would go nicely with the OPac (softpac hog rig) which would be great for traveling. The only reason why I wouldnt travel with a SS Backplate is the weight. I would either go with a softpac system, or an aluminum plate for traveling (I dont use that much lead in ww anyways).

I actually find the ss backplate works quite well for me in the tropics. Lets me do away with my weight belt completely. I've got the Halcyon 27# wing, but I think I should have gone with the 36#. As was said, it depends on your personal bouyancy. I'm pretty dense. (Ask my wife...)

I don't think of it being any extra weight to pack on a trip. I used to use my Raider and it weighs more than 6 pounds. I'd only call it heavy compared to a travel bc.

LUBOLD8431:
Oxycheq makes an 18# wing, and it would go nicely with the OPac (softpac hog rig) which would be great for traveling. The only reason why I wouldnt travel with a SS Backplate is the weight. I would either go with a softpac system, or an aluminum plate for traveling (I dont use that much lead in ww anyways).

In colder water I use a SS backplate. Recently I bought one of the O-Pacs and used it on a tropical trip. I have to say, I was very happy and pleased with the performance of the rig. I don't have another wing (yet) but my 45# OxyCheq, which is a bit overkill for a 3mm suit and a AL80, but it did work well with great trim.

I took the back padding off right away, don't need it, don't want it. Makes a pretty light weight rig for traveling which is the main reason I got it.

Thanks for the great replies guys!

I'm leaning more towards an ALU plate or softpac because I only need about 6lbs with a 3mm suit in warm water and would prefer to have ditcheable weight. Sounds I could also go with the 30lb wing for cold-water diving and get a 16lb or 18lb wing for the warm water stuff.

Don't rule out an ABS plate if travel weight is an issue.
The 16-18 LB wing sounds a little small. Someone suggested a 26 or 27Lb. This will give you more options for use with different wetsuit sizes. If you change your suit to a 5 mil, you might max out a smaller wing at depth with a full tank. Then again you might not, but it is something to concider.
Matthew J D'Avella

u5agi:
Thanks for the great replies guys!

I'm leaning more towards an ALU plate or softpac because I only need about 6lbs with a 3mm suit in warm water and would prefer to have ditcheable weight. Sounds I could also go with the 30lb wing for cold-water diving and get a 16lb or 18lb wing for the warm water stuff.

This is exactly why I went with AL, too. With an SS plate, I wouldn't really have any ditchable weight. Some people are OK with that, but I'm not. If the fit hits the shan, I want to be able to ditch. AL was cheaper, too.

u5agi:
I'm thinking of switching to a BP/Wing setup for my diving. For cold-water diving, I'm thinking of going with an ALU BP and 30lb wing for single-tank diving.

Any thoughts on what would work for warm-water single-tank? I'm concerned that the 30lb may be a bit too big?

For warm water diving, if you are thinking about interchangable wings, add up the negative buoyancy of a full aluminum tank, plus the amount of weights you will be wearing (usually 10 or 12 lbs max), and that would be all your wing would need to carry. It is not a lot. 14 or 15 lbs at most.

Warm water spoils you, this way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom