backpack for carrying 3 AL80 tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Minor PC/educational point since Marie somewhat hinted at it: "porter" is someone who transfers/carries gear. "Sherpa" is a member of, and an, ethnic group from Nepal and Tibet. So a porter in Mexico or Yosemite or the Amazon or anywhere you'll be diving or having an expedition is very likely not a Sherpa.

Stating this less of a "woke" and more of a "semantics" issue, I think many people don't know there's a difference and that they're not interchangeable terms. Thank me when you're on Jeopardy! and this comes up 😆 #themoreyouknow
🤦‍♀️

scuba sherpa

Minor PC/educational point since Marie somewhat hinted at it: "porter" is someone who transfers/carries gear. "Sherpa" is a member of, and an, ethnic group from Nepal and Tibet. So a porter in Mexico or Yosemite or the Amazon or anywhere you'll be diving or having an expedition is very likely not a Sherpa.
"Sherpa" in upper case does properly refer to the members of a Tibetan ethnic group that is renowned for their mountaineering skills, However, when not used as a proper noun, i.e. lowercase "sherpa", it has come to have a variety of meanings from "local mountain guide or porter" to "the personal representative of a head of state or government who prepares an international summit". see Sherpa (emissary) - Wikipedia

Sherpa and Sous-Sherpa are actual titles in the G7. for example see Sherpa and Sous-Sherpa meetings

This is from project-himalaya.com

Sherpa ethnic group

With a capital "S", Sherpa is an ethnic group, one of the many pseudo-Tibetan ethnic groups that live at the higher altitudes in Nepal. The Khumbu, the Everest region from Namche and up to Everest Base Camp, is inhabited by Sherpas and there are pockets of Sherpas throughout the Nepal's district of Solukhumbu and close by.

And sherpa, the worker

Whereas "sherpa", uncapitalized, means a trek or expedition worker, a jack of all trekking trades who puts up and packs tents, serves meals (made by the cook) and walks/climbs with the the clients (also called members) during the day, ensuring they don't get lost and help them if tired or sick.

Of course, sherpa is derived from Sherpa, and all the first "sherpas" were from the Sherpa ethnic group, however, now there are trek and climbing sherpas from other ethnic groups too. Please take care with the distinction.

Personally, I feel that the BEST term for a sherpa who carries loads on Everest and other high Himalayan mountains is a "climbing sherpa".

I am not pc. I call my SUV the Scuba Sherpa. No one has been triggered to date.
Not a matter of political correctness, just pointing out the difference between the two for anyone interested in being more accurate in their use of language.

"Sherpa" in upper case does properly refer to the members of a Tibetan ethnic group that is renowned for their mountaineering skills, However, when not used as a proper noun, i.e. lowercase "sherpa", it has come to have a variety of meanings from "local mountain guide or porter" to "the personal representative of a head of state or government who prepares an international summit". see Sherpa (emissary) - Wikipedia

Sherpa and Sous-Sherpa are actual titles in the G7. for example see Sherpa and Sous-Sherpa meetings

This is from project-himalaya.com

Sherpa ethnic group

With a capital "S", Sherpa is an ethnic group, one of the many pseudo-Tibetan ethnic groups that live at the higher altitudes in Nepal. The Khumbu, the Everest region from Namche and up to Everest Base Camp, is inhabited by Sherpas and there are pockets of Sherpas throughout the Nepal's district of Solukhumbu and close by.

And sherpa, the worker

Whereas "sherpa", uncapitalized, means a trek or expedition worker, a jack of all trekking trades who puts up and packs tents, serves meals (made by the cook) and walks/climbs with the the clients (also called members) during the day, ensuring they don't get lost and help them if tired or sick.

Of course, sherpa is derived from Sherpa, and all the first "sherpas" were from the Sherpa ethnic group, however, now there are trek and climbing sherpas from other ethnic groups too. Please take care with the distinction.

Personally, I feel that the BEST term for a sherpa who carries loads on Everest and other high Himalayan mountains is a "climbing sherpa".

A "local mountain guide or porter" is certainly not someone carrying AL80s through the jungle. (And TIL about the G7, but again I don't see those sherpa being the ones toting tanks hehe) Climbers preparing for big wall excursions in, say, Yosemite state that they're hiring porters, not sherpas, to ferry gear from the road to the base of the wall. Or through the jungles in South America to machete paths to the tepui.

Look, I'm not saying I'm triggered or that porters are triggered (maybe some are, who knows). Simply noting that there is a distinction that might be of interest to people who weren't particularly aware. Not trying to kick off a ******** flame war over a simple factual point 🤷‍♂️

I do not have any personal experience with these bags but I know Marissa (Hidden Worlds Mexico) was selling them at one point. They can hold 2 Al80s. I've seen some people use them.

View attachment 826619
These are fine for tromping through the jungle in MX. They are definitely not even a good choice for actual dry caving / hauling gear to sumps. Source: I have 2

If I were traveling somewhere where the terrain was rugged enough that a large wheeled (2 wheels) wouldn’t go, carrying one tank and all my other gear for a dive would probably be a daunting task. Adding another tank or two would be out of the question. A handcart with 10-12” wire wheels (think “baby buggy”) built for the task would be my choice, but then again I’m getting old and feeble!
🐸

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom