backpack for carrying 3 AL80 tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My buddy Rob in Tulum hires a sherpa for the day.
If your planning for Tulum - When and I will do the same.!!
I had a scuba sherpa (aka porter) when I did full cave in Mexico two years ago. It was the equivalent of $25 a day. Worth every penny (especially with bad knees).

What's wrong with making something simple to try it out? Like a wooden backplate that's shaped in an L with side gussets. Use some old webbing. Screw or bolt it to the back plate.
Nothing wrong, but i am sure there are people who wanted to do the same and already did the research so i dont have to :) Plus I was looking for a light solution as i always fly in

My buddy Rob in Tulum hires a sherpa for the day.
If your planning for Tulum - When and I will do the same.!!
I am not a fan of hiring a sherpa (no specific reason why, just like to carry my own stuff)

I do not have any personal experience with these bags but I know Marissa (Hidden Worlds Mexico) was selling them at one point. They can hold 2 Al80s. I've seen some people use them.
That looks perfect, thank you.
Exactly what I was looking for, light, and easy to pack for travel

What do people use to carry tanks around?

Say I need to walk ~15 min from the car to the dive site and will be diving SM with 1 stage and I dont want to make several trips to carry all my tanks

I am hoping to get recommendations on the lightest "backpack" that would fit 3 AL80s

(a trolley won't work for me, looking specifically to carry the tanks on the back)
i am so lazy this spring i will buy a folding cart to carry my stuff.

Can't remember the specific post but somebody talked about using a padded strap with a boltsnap at each end which was draped behind the neck and over the shoulders and then clipping the boltsnaps to neck chokers on each respective tank to carry them. Would still be heavy and perhaps too cumbersome for a 15 minute hike but might work.

Can't remember the specific post but somebody talked about using a padded strap with a boltsnap at each end which was draped behind the neck and over the shoulders and then clipping the boltsnaps to neck chokers on each respective tank to carry them. Would still be heavy and perhaps too cumbersome for a 15 minute hike but might work.
This sounds like the best approach for three tanks. If I had to, I would rig a simple backpack harness for one tank (aluminum backplate, travel BC or even a sturdy backpack), and use shoulder straps to sling the second and third tanks on each side. If you used a DIR rig, you could even clip off the side bottles like stages and not need separate shoulder straps. Uncomfortable no doubt but secure and balanced.

Use a donkey.

Divers will get a kick put of it.
Bring some carrots.

I use Gregory and Ultralite packs. Neither will git multiple AL80's.

I had a scuba sherpa (aka porter) when I did full cave in Mexico two years ago. It was the equivalent of $25 a day. Worth every penny (especially with bad knees).

Minor PC/educational point since Marie somewhat hinted at it: "porter" is someone who transfers/carries gear. "Sherpa" is a member of, and an, ethnic group from Nepal and Tibet. So a porter in Mexico or Yosemite or the Amazon or anywhere you'll be diving or having an expedition is very likely not a Sherpa.

Stating this less of a "woke" and more of a "semantics" issue, I think many people don't know there's a difference and that they're not interchangeable terms. Thank me when you're on Jeopardy! and this comes up 😆 #themoreyouknow

Use a donkey.

Divers will get a kick put of it.
Bring some carrots.

I was talking to an old school cave diver about taking someone to Nohoch for the first time, describing driving down that horrible dirt road into the jungle. He laughed and said they had to use donkeys to get all their gear there.

They can hold 2 Al80s. I've seen some people use them.
This is why ScubaBoard is such a great learning forum. Thanks @macado ,,I didn't know this existed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom