Backmount vs. slinging a pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it depends on your rig. I've found it difficult to sling it from a jacket style. But everything else I would sling it. I usually don't even notice when slung, even 80's and a couple of 40's . They are much easier to reach, manipulate, and donate if needed.

I sling my 40cf pony because its easier to access the regulator in my gear configuration. My octo is always around my neck. I have heard of people putting their pony regulator around their neck also under the backmount system. I found that when slinging a pony it is very easy to attach/detach. I hope this helps.

---------- Post added October 12th, 2015 at 07:24 PM ----------

Thats a good point with the jacket style bc, I can't imagine slinging a pony with my jacket. With my bp/w I can pretty much configure the pony however I want.

It's very much personal preference.

I often used to backmount a pony. Originally as a bailout supply of gas when I started diving on single cylinders. When I switched to twins (doubles), I used to carry nitriox 50 in an inverted pony, which was back mounted. (It allowed me to dive it shut down, then I would open the valve above 18mm (54 feet).
Even now on the rebreather on shallow dives I will fit an inverted pony back mounted as an independent bailout.

Carrying it on your back in the water is OK, but you have to be able to carry the rig out of the water and get in and out. You might not make any friends if you are diving from RIB's and dekitting in the water, someone then has to lift the complete set back into the boat!

If it is back mounted make sure the hose is of sufficient length, especially if inverted.

If you are carrying it side slung make sure you can attach and remove it independently in the water.

Gareth

I had a 13 that I back mounted and it would push on the bladder and throw me out of trim. What can I do to avoid this with a bp/w if I go with backmount?

I had a 13 that I back mounted and it would push on the bladder and throw me out of trim. What can I do to avoid this with a bp/w if I go with backmount?
You should be able to position the tank so that it doesn't interfere with the wing by rotating the pony around the cylinder your attaching to.

I dive a good old fashioned BCD. I have two bad rotator cuffs so I like everything handy. I sling a 19 on the left side. It causes no problems with trim or anything else. I keep my right side free for camera. Only thing I have to be careful with is that my reel is clipped onto the same bottom ring as the pony. Had a helpful DM who went to take my pony off as I came up the ladder drop the reel into the ocean. But only 40 ft deep and he retrieved it.

MY computers are wrist mounted. I route the SPG/compass to the outside of the pony and attach to a short clip. Still able to read and use both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom