Back Zip vs Front Zip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDenning

Contributor
Reaction score
I wanted to get a 3mm shorty, and looked hard to find a front zip, found one. Well like someone pointed out looks like the shorty part of a 2 piece. But it works.

So please someone explain to me why all the back zip? What is an advantage for a SCUBA diver?

I see it this way. Back Zip is for surfers, they can lay flat on their board and on zipper under them. But most of us divers don't lay flat on anything. In fact most of us have something on our back. I like being able to pull down the zipper when I get too warm. OK, many of you will say you never get too warm. But I do, must be my hot head:)

Also of lesser note. A zipper is a break in the material so that area won't stretch as much as a no break. Surfers are more likely to move their arms backward, say paddling out, or balance. Divers on the other hand are very unlikely to bend like that, we bend forward and arms generally in front of to our sides.

A leak is more likely in a zipper than where there is none. i don't know about you but if the water were cold I'd hate a leak on my back. I am used to cold water and always enjoyed that first flush of water into your suit.

So please enlighten me. is there any advantage to us divers for back zip? if not can we urge suite makers to discover a front zipper again? Is it all style so you look like the 'people' on TV?

That's my rant for the day, but I am interested in your opinions.

I've heard of people getting custom suits with front zippers. I'm not a big fan of back zippers either. My semi dry and my drysuit both have front zippers. My CA wetsuit is the only one I have that has a back zipper.

My 7mm full with front zip was among the hardest of my suits to get out of. Almost all of mine have been back zips. However, there was the time with one of my back zips that the zipper hot caught and I had to walk down to the paramedics station to get out of it. I told them they'd been trying to rescue me for years at the dive park and here was their chance.

Back zip has two basic advantages. They can be much easier to take off and they will seal better around your neck.

I personally prefer front zip and still use a two piece 7mm front zip.

I also have a two piece 3mm front zip from Bare and very often only use the top in the Caribbean as a shorty.

I do have a 3mm one piece front zip, but it is about the limit in thickness that I could wear a front zip one piece and be able to take it off without assistance. Anything thicker in a one piece front zip and I would need some one to peal it back from me.

One piece are in general proofing to be a bit warmer than two piece because most of them tend to leak less…less openings. This is not always the case since the two layers do add more insulation, but with more buoyancy. With a one piece you can add a core warmer, but it is not always needed.

Since the one piece has become more popular, therefore the rear zip has become more popular.

The neck sealing issue is that a front zipper cannot zip as high against your neck. It could be very uncomfortable for the zipper to press tight against the front of your neck.

Just like you I prefer front zip, especially for warm water where I only use a 3mm (I like to unzip the front at times also). I really like my Bare 3mm top. Another alternative is kayaking 3mm wet suit from someone like NRS (North River Supply). They make great neoprene products for kayaking, but their 3mm can work very well for warm water Scuba.

Good Luck.

I find this thread very intersting because I also dislike back zip wetsuits and it seems there are a lot of us. It may take a little assistance to get out of them but I really don't like not having the option of unzipping the wetsuit during the dive if I need to cool down a little. I also don't care for the constriction around the neck. Looks like a marketing oppertunity if a wetsuit manuf would just pay attention.

I see some of the points made, zipper can't go high enough on a front zip. But I just don't see that as an issue in 81 degree water. For cold water suits, I liked one I had with an attached hood. Had a zipper that you pull up to open, below your neck. Twas quite dry, very good wrist and ankle seals. To doff a front zip I'd unzip, pull it down off my shoulders and pull it over my head in front of me, No problem, no help. Really allows you to flex those arms also:)

On a dive last week one of the guys with a back zip couldn't get the zipper closed. It kept snagging. He'd pull it open, straighten it and try again, snag. After watching him a couple of times I said, "Here let me straighten that". He was getting frustrated and it was just a simple fold of the seal that kept getting caught in the zipper. He couldn't reach it though.

My drysuit is also a self donning. But I don't HATE :) the shoulder zippers, just prefer to be able to do it myself.

I don't see wet suits as an issue in 81° water.

I do have to really agree with you on that. I kept asking myself, "why the heck am I wearing this thing?" I've never before worn a wetsuit in warm water. Did a Cayman Aggressor trip, 26 dives and never was cold, even down to 100'.

We had people in full 3mm suites, and in bikini sans any neoprene.

I don't see wet suits as an issue in 81° water.

Me neither...

:D

RJP.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom