Back Up Your Digital Photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sorry to hear you lost your pics - i know i wuold be devastated to loose mine.

as everyone says backups are essetial...and make several copies. DVD/CDs are a bit of a pain and can fail (and you need to be able to effortlessly do backups or you will forget/delay and that is bad). I used to do that and just got so far behind that I realized it wasn't working. Recently those little 2.5" external drives have become very cheap - you can get a 160GB one for about $99 (I have a couple of the iomega ones) - no external power, just plug into the USB port on your laptop copy the files.
So I now have my pics stored in 3 places: on my hard drive and copied onto 2 external drives (stored in different locations) in case of fire/theft/hurricane etc.

As another poster noted, there is value to keeping a backup offsite.

The other thing easily done with a bus-powered USB HDD is to transfer them to another computer (such as the one in your office) in addition to the one at home.

Since I have desktop computers in three different residences that I synchronize by carrying just a tiny USB HDD, I have inadvertently created 3 geographically dispersed backup in Hawaii, California, and Massachusetts.

No only if I had some photos that were worth backing up. :disappoin

I use a online web hosting for my pictures, since I rent 350gigs of space for $40 a year, I also store all my photos online. There are pro/cons,
pro is
offsite!
cheap.
my pictures, my resolution.

cons are:
1 every file is public in some sort of manner, I have the files protected from public use, but they are on the web.
2. no file revisions. I use zip files to maintain the revision history.

While we are on this subject does anyone have advice on this?

My computer from a few years ago suffered an "unmountable boot disk." At the time I had mostly music on it, so I had to re-rip my CD's. Recently I bought an external enclosure for the 20GB drive. It shows 11 GB of data, but when I go to "my computer" I can't find any of it.

In my own backup procedure, I always maintain my photos on both my laptop, an external backup drive, as well as periodic DVD burns that get put in the safety deposit box.

Regarding online backup - too slow. With the file size of modern cameras, the severly limited upload speed of most ISPs would make net backups painful. That being said, I believe Picasaweb allows full size image uploads and downloads.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom