back up second stage on DS4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIVERDREW

Reaction score
I am shopping for a second stage to go on my DS4 first stage that will be the backup regulator on the left post of my doubles.
This is what I am shopping for in a reg to meet this need.

The reg must be a non-air balanced, low performance reg. A reg that can be taken apart and cleared underwater. A reg that operates at low IP's. I am look seriously at the Scuba Pro R190.
Does anyone have any other suggestions for a backup reg that meets these requirements?

Thanks Drew

Why in the world do you want a non-balanced low performance reg for your back-up, after all you may have to go to this reg under a stressfull situation where your breathing rate is likely to elevate. Personally I do not use non-balanced low performance regs for back-ups nor do I recommend it. I would recommend using an Apeks ATX or TX40, or if you don't need the large heat exchanger you could save a few bucks and go with the AT20.

JT2
I want the backup to be very reliable not the best performance reg out there, over 100 feet I will be breathing helium based gases so the breathing resistance will be decreased as well. Also the backup being non air balanced is less prone to free flow. The water we dive in is always cold, by that I mean about 32 degree Farenheit.

Drew

The second stage that is designed to go with the DS4 will work just fine.

I'd probably just buy the TX40/DS4 from Leisure-Pro for $200 and use that. Hard to beat the price. Don't the Apeks 2nd stages have a control to prevent freeflow when the reg is not being used? That should make it a reliable backup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom