back up reg (Air2 or ATOMIC SSI)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Atomic SS1

1. Two year service interval
2. Breathes great

I live about three hours away from the shop where I bought mine, and if it needs service I just send it UPS.

I know the tech/dir set frown on these things, but I consider the SS1 one of the finest pieces of gear I own.

___

liberato:
What is the problem with having a longer corrugated hose?

What's the problem with having a longer hose on your primary? You donate that in an OOA situation and breath off of the SS-1 (in my case).

FWIW, I just purchased a Brigade and added an SS1 which I got from my LDS. Easy to install and the hose seems long enough for me to use for OOA.

ZzzKing:
What's the problem with having a longer hose on your primary? You donate that in an OOA situation and breath off of the SS-1 (in my case).
No, I meant the corrugated inflator hose. Earlier it was mentioned that getting a longer one (to allow full range of motion with Air 2 or SS1) may cause some problems of its own. I was just wondering what the problems were...

liberato:
What is the problem with having a longer corrugated hose?
Tends to push away from your mouth. You have to really teeth-grip-it. Ive got one on one of my setups and that was my complaint. That and the mouth piece is c..p. (SS1)

mnj1233:
Tends to push away from your mouth. You have to really teeth-grip-it. Ive got one on one of my setups and that was my complaint. That and the mouth piece is c..p. (SS1)

I would think it would "hover" away from your body a little more and affect your streamlining. I solved the mouthpiece issue buy buying one of those moldable ones for my Z2 and moving the stock Z2 one to the SS-1. the stock SS-1 mouthpiece went into the save-a-dive box to, hopefully, never be used.

Do you remember if it was a 1 inch hose corigated hose on your brigade? I still havent made up my mind, however I know my LDS is a a big SP dealer and it might be easier for me to get service on a SP air 2. I like the SS1 though. I only wish I could try before I buy.... Might ask them?

I did here that if I want a Air 2 I had to replace the corigated hose, I just want to know if thats true or not.

:)

howman:
FWIW, I just purchased a Brigade and added an SS1 which I got from my LDS. Easy to install and the hose seems long enough for me to use for OOA.

I can only speak for the SS1.
I have the brigade with SS1. The SS1 comes with several
adapters for a variety of hose styles so nothing else is needed.

I do like it, breaths fine, and the buttons are large and easy to
locate and push. The regulator detaches from the corrogated
air hose with a quick disconnect that unscrews with no tools.

This is great for rinsing out the BC. Also it allows you to carry
your SS1 reg in your reg bag or ship it off seperately if you
want to have it serviced non-locally.

A larger than octo air Supply hose is also supplied and quick
disconnects from the SS1 as well.

The BC will inflate mighty fast with this setup. Much faster than
the standard Zeagle BC inflator. You have to use a feather touch
when adjusting bouyancy.

2 year service interval is also nice on the SS1.

As with all octo inflators, there are disadvantages.

Both the SS1 and the Air2 have a combined functionality
with the boyancy control. This means that if you get confused
and push the vent button too hard while using the regulator
it will vent into your lungs which can be bad for a variety of
reasons. You can obviously avoid this by venting with the
Reg out of your mouth - which is easy, just have to get used to it.

The Zeagle Octo+ doesn't have this issue. Neiher do the
Shadow+ or Genisis Sidekick style octo+ devices.

You definitely have to practice air sharing. Its not so bad
after practice, but its alot less obvious than it looks or would
seem to be.

One last thing not to overlook is what TSandM and Markfm said.
When you go with a fully integrated octo+ like the SS1 you
are tieing your regulator to YOUR BC because it requires modifying the BC.
This may not sound like
a bad thing but consider if your BC gets lost or more likely
delayed during your travel. You can't use your regulator setup
on a rental BC unless you replace your SS1 hose and add
a regular octo or swap our your SS1 hose and add a Shadow+
like octo.

Also, in my case, there are times where I want or have to
travel light and I want to use my regs and my hose attached
AI computer on a rental BC. In this case because I have an SS1,
I have to modify my regulator setup to accomodate a standard BC.
In my case to keep things simple, I'll probably end up buying
a shadow+ type device.

So while I really do like the octo+ concept and I really do like
the SS1, I'm not completely sure I'd buy it again over a
shadow+ type device, sinc'e I'll probably end up buying one
of those as well to deal with rental BCs.

--- bill

myrddin:
I did hear that if I want a Air 2 I had to replace the corrugated hose, I just want to know if thats true or not.
No, you are not required to replace the hose but depending upon how big you are and where you wear your tank you may need a longer one (and appropriately longer dump valve cable, if you use one) to allow for full head mobility while in use. If you are convnced that you want to go the integrated route the Atomic is way better quality and design (I have both).

My son and I each have a Zeagle Brigade / Atomic SS1 safe second combination. We are very impressed with the performance and utility of these products, working in tandum. However, previous posts did bring up two good points. You should buy your equipment in a manner that can be completely serviced by a single LDS. Also, you probably will need to bring your BC with you on dive vacations, due to potential connection configuration problems. The tradeoffs are worth it to me. The question is are they worth it to you?

Back
Top Bottom