Back-up lights -- BP/rec diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for some ideas on what to use for a back-up light that can be stowed "scout style" on a backplate.

Don't see the need to spend $80 on a scout.

I've seen these Extreme quasi-scouts discussed elsewhere, but even $65 seems steep for my rec-diving purposes.

http://www.canadianextreme.ca/lights.html

My LDS sells the Princeton Tec Surge, which is scout-sized, and I have a positive impression of Princeton Tec products. Price is about $35.
http://www.simplyscuba.com/cgi-bin-...9344884.32127&shipping_country=United Kingdom

Thoughts? Other ideas?

Thanks.

??

I figured the $65 spent upfront for something that at worst will need a $12 replacement part (the head assembly) if a tank is dropped on it, was money better spent than a plastic light that would shatter. Not that I plan on dropping tanks on my lights(!), just that in my experience with tools and equipment for anything, paying for quality is more economical in the long run. Like buying Sidchrome tools instead of the cheapo Kmart chrome plated ones.

UP -- are you asking why I need a light or why I'm searching for a cheap scout alternative.....?

Why I need a light -- when night diving I want a back-up light. My primary light (pistol grip UK C8) has died. I always found it bulky anyway.......so I'm going to be using my former back-up (Princeton Tec 600) as a primary and want to buy a new back-up light that I can stow scout-style on my harness. Those delrin lights look nice, but price is high and I need one by this weekend......

I only need 1. No need for 2 back-ups for rec diving.

I usually don't carry lights at all unless I'm night diving.

-Chris

My thinking kinda goes like this: chances are I'll never use my backup lights. If however, my primary light craps out and I do need to use them, it may very well be 250' deep in the engine room of a wreck I've never been in before. For this reason alone I have 2 Halcyon Scouts. Backup lights are safety gear and as such, life support equipment. Buy the best.

Tom

...is that for 2 of the $35 lights you could get a CE light.

I have two of the CE lights, but often only carry one since the other interferes with my canister light (the head is right where the canister light sits next to the bp on the harness). I could solve it by moving the d-ring up, but then my d-ring would be in a harder to reach spot. Anyone else have this problem?

O-ring once bubbled...
...is that for 2 of the $35 lights you could get a CE light.

I have two of the CE lights, but often only carry one since the other interferes with my canister light (the head is right where the canister light sits next to the bp on the harness). I could solve it by moving the d-ring up, but then my d-ring would be in a harder to reach spot. Anyone else have this problem?

Hmmmmm.... Do you have your can pushed all the way back against your plate? I don't have any interferance problem with my Scouts. My D-rings are right on my collarbones basically.

Tom

Do you have your can pushed all the way back against your plate?

I was leaving an inch or so of play between the webbing loop on the can and the plate and attaching a second buckle forward of the loop (with the inch or two behind the light). Should I snug the light up against the plate?

The other factor is that I have an older AUL canister light which is HUGE.

O-ring once bubbled...

I was leaving an inch or so of play between the webbing loop on the can and the plate and attaching a second buckle forward of the loop (with the inch or two behind the light). Should I snug the light up against the plate?

The other factor is that I have an older AUL canister light which is HUGE.

I have mine pushed pretty much all the way back (then a buckle like you said). My can is small though (Pro 4 HID) so that be the difference.

Try it pushed all the way and see it it makes a difference.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom