Back up light selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubazach

Reaction score
I need some back ups - new to DIR. Should I select a "short" 2 c cells or standard length light - 3 c-cells.

I am 5' 10" around 160 lbs not small, but not huge. Will the standards be too long/get in the way?

Thanks for your input!

-Z

I'm about your height and I have pair of Photon Torpedos with LEDs. I don't even notice them on my harness, until I want to deploy them. I think you'll be fine with the 3 cell lights, especially the PT LED!!

I'd also like to throw out a recomendation for the PT-LEDs. I have one and it's great. :D

Well, I own 2 PT's also but I differ from the others in that I find a PT a tad too long on my right side. My can light prevents it from laying flat on my harness (I'm 5'9") so I recently purchased a mini scout and it is a much better fit on the right side. Left side is fine with the PT.

I am 6'. I am using the standard Halcyon Scout lights. I find that the standard (3-C) Scouts is too long for the right side as it always comes in contact with my canister. I then replace one of the Scouts with a mini-Scout (2-C) with sits nicely along my shoulder strap with just enough room between the canister and itself.

If you are using a canister or will probably be diving with one in the future, MIGHT want to use a 2-C on for your right side. Just from my experience. :) Hope this helps.

I recommend Halcyon scout light 2 or 3 c as your backup
scout-family01.jpg

wunat:
I am 6'. I am using the standard Halcyon Scout lights. I find that the standard (3-C) Scouts is too long for the right side as it always comes in contact with my canister. I then replace one of the Scouts with a mini-Scout (2-C) with sits nicely along my shoulder strap with just enough room between the canister and itself.

If you are using a canister or will probably be diving with one in the future, MIGHT want to use a 2-C on for your right side. Just from my experience. :) Hope this helps.

If you might ever actually need your backup for any period of time at all, learn to deal with the fact that it doesn't always sit perfectly on the right side . It can usually be adjusted to fit comfortably. I have had scooter rides of over 90 minutes on two occassions using just a backup. With a proper team there are still plenty of lights but in this situation you wouldn't want your remaining light to be a little one. For wreck dives the 2-c would be fine and for open water dives I only use one backup.

While I have some PTs and they are good lights, they are overbuilt which makes them a little thicker than the scouts and can contribute (very slightly) to them getting in the way.

If you go with the LED modules, the burn times even on the 2 cell lights can be really substantial. I'm going to buy a mini Scout for my second backup light, and put an LED module in it, because it will ride much better on my harness than my PT does.

The UK modules are the same as those used in the PT. They work perfectly in the short 2-cell scouts. Just a little less of a spot in the center than when powered by 3cells.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom